Reflecting photons off a surface

In summary: When a photon reflects off a surface is this point equal to the angle of incidence? When a photon reflects off a surface of a material, what does it actually reflect off? Please explain it to me simply. Thankyou In summary, a photon reflects off a surface depending on how much energy it has. The angle of incidence is not always equal to the angle of reflection.
Spud101
I would like to know the answers to these questions:

How does a photon reflect off a surface and if so is energy lost (i do realize that photons travel at the speed of light but i was just wondering)?

When a photon reflects off a surface is this point equal to the angle of incidence?

When a photon reflects off a surface of a material, what does it actually reflect off?

Please explain it to me simply. Thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
You could say that the photon "bounces" against the electron clouds of atoms on the surface. But to analyse this in more detail you would have to consider the wave properties of the photon. You can't consider the photon localized or hitting the surface at a very precise location. Instead you should consider it as kind of smeared in the form of a wave packet. In order to consider the interaction as being a reflection, the photon should not be absorbed by the atom. If it is absorbed and then re-emmited then that is a different phenomenon.

I think in general you'll understand reflection better if you start from the wave rather than particle (photon) perspective. Try Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflection_(physics)

Your questions are "simple" but the answers have many aspects. I'm no expert but I know the answers are dependent on the reflective material.

Simple/practical answer: When a brick reflects light,for example, you know it's reflecting some light because you can see it; if it absorbed all light you could not see it. You also know some energy is transferred from the light to the brick because it warms up. And you know in general dark colors absorb more energy than light colors...dark surfaces melt snow faster in the winter, for example. And likely you also know smoothness of a surface affects how much light is reflected.

Also, in everyday existence, visible light, say on the Earth from the sun, is unlikely to be energetic enough to affect nuclei...so effects you are interested in have to do with electrons absorbing energy from light, subsequently oscillating more vigorously (which generate sheat) and subsequently radiating heat in the invisible infrared range.

Not so simple:

There are many types of "reflection". In the photoelectric effect, for example, some lightwave energy clearly becomes an electric current so there is clearly an energy transfer. Some materials may reflect most light and others absorb most light...perfect absorbers are "black bodies", the opposite of a perfect reflection medium (and not easy to find).

In general when light gains or loses energy it's frequency changes which mean so does the color..so look for that in discussions. Light can also become partially or totally polarized by reflection and that would seem to affect reflected energy. Refraction occurs when light beams penetrate a medium, even a reflective one, and as a result bound electrons may be set in oscillation which causes reflected radiation. In that case clealy some light energy is transferred to the medium...I'd guess glass is such a medium. So I'm saying reflection, refraction and absorption characteristics of the medium all have an effect.

Last edited:
i would also like to know why certain photons are absorbed by materials and why light (photons) sometimes reflects off surfaces. What does this depend on?

1. What is the purpose of reflecting photons off a surface?

The purpose of reflecting photons off a surface is to study the properties of the surface. By analyzing the behavior of reflected photons, scientists can gather information about the surface's composition, texture, and other physical properties.

2. How is the direction of a reflected photon determined?

The direction of a reflected photon is determined by the angle of incidence (the angle at which the photon hits the surface) and the angle of reflection (the angle at which the photon bounces off the surface). These angles follow the law of reflection, which states that the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection.

3. Can the color of a surface affect the way it reflects photons?

Yes, the color of a surface can significantly affect the way it reflects photons. Different colors absorb and reflect different wavelengths of light, which can impact the intensity and direction of reflected photons. This is why different surfaces may appear to have different colors when viewed from different angles.

4. What is the difference between specular and diffuse reflection?

Specular reflection is when photons are reflected off a smooth surface, such as a mirror, at equal angles. This results in a clear, focused image. Diffuse reflection, on the other hand, is when photons are reflected off a rough surface, such as a piece of paper, at various angles. This results in a scattered, less defined image.

5. How can reflecting photons off a surface be used in real-world applications?

Reflecting photons off a surface has many practical applications. It is used in industries such as optics, where it is used to create specialized mirrors and lenses. It is also used in remote sensing, where reflected photons are used to gather information about the Earth's surface and atmosphere. Additionally, reflecting photons off a surface can be used in photography, holography, and other imaging techniques.