Reflection of light from the mirror

In summary, when light hits a mirror, it is absorbed by the electrons in the reflecting material, and then emitted in a particular direction back towards the source.
Vrbic
What is exactly happening when the light hit a surface of a mirror? I know it is not same as a bounce of ball from the wall, because of constant speed of light for example. So I suppose the light is absorbed by electron of reflecting material. This probably define the materials who are appropriate - energy between valence electron level and some higher level has to be in accordance with energy of visible photon.
Am I right?
I also realize that photon is absorbed and emited (lines in spectrum), but I would expect izotropically emitting (to all directions). How is possible that photon is "reflected" exactly in same direction back if comes perpendicular?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is way better to think about light in terms of good old classical electrodynamics (aka Maxwell's equations) than to think about photons as a kind of massless "billiard balls". Photons are far from what we'd consider as particles. E.g., there's no way to define a position observable for them.

Looking from the field-theoretical point of view, what happens is that an electromagnetic wave hitting the surface of a good conductor is that it starts to rattle the free charges (in metals these are electrons), which emit an electromagnetic wave. After some time a stationary state results, and the superposition of the external wave field and the field due to the accelerated charges (close to the surface of the metal (skin effect)) leads to the usual description in terms of Fresnel's formulae, which follow much simpler from considering plane-wave modes of the em. field and the boundary conditions on the surface of the conductor. For an excellent treatment of the above mentioned more macroscopic point of view, see

Melvin Schwartz, Principles of Electrodynamics, Dover Publ. 1972

Likes Vrbic and BvU
Hi,

Good question. Answer on many levels of complication can be given.
I'll recount here what worked for me (experimental physicist):

Light is an electromagnetic wave. If it bumps into a conductor you get boundary conditions and to satisfy those the equations lead you to this reflection business. For media with a different speed of light you get the refraction laws too.

(Can't wait for the real experts to pound on this simplification :rolleyes:

[edit] but I didn't expect one of them would be so quick as to beat me to it! :smile:
[edit2] this way PF starts to look like a mutual admiration society :wink:

Vrbic said:
So I suppose the light is absorbed by electron of reflecting material.
Note that the wavelength of light is much bigger than the dimensions on an atomic scale. So the reflecting medium can be considered as (almost) a continuum. Much easier on the math.

Likes vanhees71
BvU said:
Hi,

Good question. Answer on many levels of complication can be given.
I'll recount here what worked for me (experimental physicist):

Light is an electromagnetic wave. If it bumps into a conductor you get boundary conditions and to satisfy those the equations lead you to this reflection business. For media with a different speed of light you get the refraction laws too.

(Can't wait for the real experts to pound on this simplification :rolleyes:

[edit] but I didn't expect one of them would be so quick as to beat me to it! :smile:
[edit2] this way PF starts to look like a mutual admiration society :wink:
Much easier on the math.
Thanks for comment and summary.
BvU said:
Note that the wavelength of light is much bigger than the dimensions on an atomic scale. So the reflecting medium can be considered as (almost) a continuum. Much easier on the math.
I understand that analogs in macroscopic world aren't much appropriate, but :-) May I imagine it such:
I have a cube of jelly in the water. Where water is electromagnetic field and jelly are atoms (electrons) of mirror. When a wave hit a face of jelly it demorms a bit and in a moment it relaxs to get ordinary state and create backward wave (in same direction it came from).
Is it a bit right view?
I believe it is possible to calculate quite exactly what is happening. But by some approximation. I am not looking for math but phenomenons of physics which are present while is light reflected from the mirror.

1. How does light reflect off a mirror?

When light hits a smooth and flat surface, such as a mirror, it bounces off at an equal angle as it hit the surface. This is known as the law of reflection. The angle of incidence (incoming light) is equal to the angle of reflection (outgoing light). This is why we can see ourselves in a mirror.

2. Why do mirrors appear to reverse images?

Mirrors appear to reverse images because of the way light reflects off of them. When we see an object in a mirror, the light rays bouncing off the object hit the mirror and reflect back to our eyes. The mirror does not actually reverse the image, but rather reflects it back to us in a different orientation.

3. Can light reflect off of all surfaces?

No, not all surfaces can reflect light. In order for light to reflect off of a surface, it must be smooth and flat. Rough or uneven surfaces will scatter light in different directions, making it difficult for us to see our reflections or for light to form clear images.

4. How does the angle of incidence affect the reflection of light?

The angle of incidence, or the angle at which light hits a surface, will determine the angle of reflection. The law of reflection states that the angle of incidence and the angle of reflection will always be equal. This means that if the angle of incidence is changed, the angle of reflection will also change.

5. Can light be absorbed by a mirror?

Yes, a small amount of light can be absorbed by a mirror. This is why mirrors may appear slightly darker than their surroundings. However, most of the light that hits a mirror will be reflected back, which is why we can see our reflections in them.