"Refrain from Discussing Mathematics"

• Thread starter George Jones
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary, a deli in Connecticut has put up a sign asking customers to avoid talking about mathematics while waiting in line. This was mentioned on the CBC program "As It Happens" and the story reminded the narrator of the soup nazi episode from Seinfeld. The narrator also mentions a website where graduate level math problems are discussed and shares a personal experience at a deli where discussing a math book title led to an emptied table.
George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Sign at a deli in Connecticut: "Please refrain from discussing mathematics while waiting in line."

To hear the story, start listening at 13:40 of the audio file
http://www.cbc.ca/listen/shows/as-it-happens/episode/13012528

I heard this on the CBC program "As It Happens" while driving my daughter to soccer last night.

Likes StatGuy2000, DrClaude, jedishrfu and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
The earlier stories are interesting too. A funny viral story.

Reminds me of the soup nazi story from Seinfeld without the soup nazi.

The jokes were funny too.

Don't drink and derive.

Let L be a group. No G is a group and L is a line...

Also mentioned the mathoverflow.net website where graduate level math problems are discussed.

jedishrfu said:
Reminds me of the soup nazi story from Seinfeld without the soup nazi.
... and me on an occasion in which "Differentiation and Integration" as a book's title granted us a (from economy students) emptied table at a crowded deli, where we first took place at their table. Duration: est. 7 min.

George Jones said:
Sign at a deli in Connecticut: "Please refrain from discussing mathematics while waiting in line."
Didn't listen to it yet, but as an engineer I can sympathize.

1. What is the purpose of refraining from discussing mathematics?

The purpose of refraining from discussing mathematics is to avoid any potential misunderstandings or conflicts that may arise from differing opinions or interpretations of mathematical concepts. It also allows for a more focused and productive discussion on other topics.

2. Is mathematics not important in scientific discussions?

Mathematics is an essential tool in scientific discussions and plays a crucial role in understanding and analyzing data. However, in some cases, discussing mathematics may not be relevant or necessary, and refraining from it can help keep the conversation on track.

3. Are there any benefits to refraining from discussing mathematics?

Yes, refraining from discussing mathematics can help create a more inclusive and accessible environment for those who may not have a strong background in math. It also encourages critical thinking and problem-solving skills without relying solely on mathematical equations.

4. Does refraining from discussing mathematics limit scientific progress?

No, refraining from discussing mathematics does not limit scientific progress. In fact, it can help prevent potential biases and encourage diverse perspectives, leading to more comprehensive and well-rounded research.

5. How can we ensure that mathematics is not overlooked in scientific discussions?

While refraining from discussing mathematics may be beneficial in certain situations, it is crucial to acknowledge and incorporate mathematical concepts when necessary. This can be achieved by having a diverse and well-rounded team of scientists and actively promoting the importance of math in scientific discussions.