Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Project Hero: Scholorships for children of Deceased soldiers.

1. Mar 29, 2010 #1
    I am not sure if any of you have heard of this, but it is the drama of my home town currently, and I am interested in what you think of it.

Essentially the University of Regina (one I attend) as well as many other Canadian Universities gives scholarships to children of Deceased Canadian Soldiers. Just recently 16 professors at the UofR spoke out against the scholarship. Here is their letter:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/saskatchewan/story/2010/03/25/sk-wall-scholarship-1003.html#socialcomments" [Broken]

So yeah, the 16 professors are facing lots of criticism for their opinions.

I guess I find it odd how a public and educational institution (where students are encouraged to form opinions about world issues) can I guess pick a side and say they support the war or show they value the war (even though that may not be their intention) especially since there can be kids from all over the world including Afghanistan because although the soldiers can be seen as heroes to Canadians, to others they can be seen as murderers. How would the students from Afghanistan feel if the public school they were attending gave this scholarship if maybe their father was killed by a Canadian soldier. Would it not make sense for an institution affiliated with the military to give out such a award? I believe that the children should receive help in some way for school I just do not know if the support should come from a public University.

What do you think PF, lately I have just been hearing arguments filled with name calling and the such.. nothing of substance.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2010 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I think "project Hero" is a wonderful thing from what I've read. A scholorship for the children of soldiers killed in the line of duty. What kind of person would oppose that?

I think the people that have their knickers in a knot over a scholorship that has nothing to do with them need to pull that corn cob out of their place where the sun doesn't shine.

What the frap is wrong with people? So a few young people get a scholorship because their parent died in service. The University isn't footing the bill. Get a life, get over it, move along!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  4. Mar 29, 2010 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just to play devil's advocate here.

Does this mean only combat deaths or training accidents, then what about accidents in war zone?
    (Generally in modern armies, even in wartime, accidents out-number enemy action deaths)
    What about friendly fire - if you are killed by Americans does that count.

Does the same thing apply to the navy? What about the coastguard?
    Should it also then apply to police and fire service staff?

5. Mar 29, 2010 #4

Evo

6. Mar 29, 2010 #5

Scholarships can be set up for wonderful things and for no reasons.

7. Mar 29, 2010 #6
    But is this not how it has to do with them. Since they are associated with the university by being professors there, they do not think the university should support something that is not a "common goal" amongst the people that represent the university.

8. Mar 29, 2010 #7

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I thought these were government sponsorships - presumably as a way to increase support for a not particularly popular war?

If the government wished to claim it was simply to reward bravery - they might have some explaining to do to the children of dead firemen.

9. Mar 29, 2010 #8

Evo

It's ridiculous, the scholorship for the student has nothing to do with the University. They are proposing discrimination for assinine reasons. What type of scholorship a student gets has nothing to do with the university or it's policies.

Are they also going to refuse students whose parents are in the military? There is no difference.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  10. Mar 29, 2010 #9
    Isn't the irony wonderful? "Let me bad mouth the people who protect my rights."

Have you seen the one professors credentials? He is in such a specialized area, that it seems like he has forgotten what the real world is like (which I have seen with a lot of professors.)

11. Mar 29, 2010 #10
    They are not bad mouthing anyone...:confused:

12. Mar 29, 2010 #11
    By saying that children of soldiers who gave their life for their country don't deserve scholarships, yes they are bad mouthing somebody.

13. Mar 29, 2010 #12
    Really? Can you find me a quote where any of them say "children of soldiers who gave their life for their country don't deserve scholarships"? That is not what they are arguing at all. All they are expressing is that the University should not be handing them out. They suggest that every child should get free education, those whose family died in the war included. But not where do they say the children of deceased soldiers do not deserve scholarships.

14. Mar 29, 2010 #13
    hmm.

15. Mar 29, 2010 #14

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

These profs know of heroism the same way theoretical physicists know of dairy cows ("Consider a spherical cow of uniform density in a vacuum...")

16. Mar 29, 2010 #15
    Yes, university associated.

17. Mar 29, 2010 #16

Evo

Buwahahah

18. Mar 29, 2010 #17

Evo

Seriously, leave the kids alone. I can't imagine there are many, and are these kids going around the campus campaining for anything?

19. Mar 29, 2010 #18
    You Canadians and your massive empire!:tongue: In order for one to properly be an empire, must they not be under the control of another empire. . .?:biggrin:

20. Mar 29, 2010 #19
    who is hero anyway and who deserves more respect?

Shouldn't we make heroes people who
    • collect our garbage every week
    • make sure that we stay healthy for work and life
    • make sure that financial system is healthy
    • provide high quality 24/7 electrical/communication services
    • ... so on

Point I am making is that scholarships can be for everything but I strongly disagree that this is a good cause or one that I should be proud of.

21. Mar 29, 2010 #20
    Yeah I have no idea how many there are. And nothing too much at school, basically just making the news. Nothing will come of the complaints.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook