Refrigerator rated 80W at 250V: what happens when voltage drops to 50V?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
ritwik06
Messages
577
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A refrigerator is marked 80W and 250 V. What is likely to happen if the voltage falls to
50V?

Homework Equations



P=V^2/R
V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution


---------------------------------------------------------
R=V^2/P
=250*250/80
=781.25 ohm
Assuming the resistance to be constant.
--------------------------------------------------------
Current earlier=P/V
=80/250
=0.32 A
----------------------------------------------------

Current when voltage falls to 50V

=50/781.25 (V=IR)
=0.064 A

---------------------------------------------------

Power will also decrease.
P=VI
=50*0.064
=3.2 W

******************************************

It seems that the appliance will be damaged. I have no idea about anything further. Am I right? I have written everything i could make out. Please help me now.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Your reasoning looks entirely correct to me. Of course, in the real world, you're probably right -- the appliance may well be damaged if its compressor can't turn and it just sits there soaking up stall current until it overheats.

- Warren