Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Refund on that last 2 minutes of my life?

1. Aug 13, 2009 #1
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8196807.stm

You just can't make this kind of nuttiness up. You just can't.....it's funny and sad at the same time.

put it on mute, and play your favorite music in the background. They all nod to the beat!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2009 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Re: LoLz

Sigh... where can I go to get a refund on that last 2 minutes of my life?

4. Aug 13, 2009 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

That's scary. If it weren't a BBC story, I'd figure it was made up. How in the world can those Orthodox Jews think this is good PR for them? Idiots.

5. Aug 13, 2009 #4

drizzle

Gold Member

I thought it was 38 seconds!

with all the respect to your view, you don’t have to add that last part of your post

6. Aug 13, 2009 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

My laptop is quite slow. Also, it was THAT bad.

7. Aug 13, 2009 #6

Drizzle, I think it is not an unreasonable thing to criticize people for being such cretins that they think playing a very silly horn will do anything about a virus.

8. Aug 13, 2009 #7

Who knows, maybe they didn't see the camera and forgot to turn off the stupid.

I thought babies crying on airplanes was annoying, at least they don't have access to horned instruments on flights.:tongue2:

9. Aug 13, 2009 #8

berkeman

You make a valid point, and I'm so torn. I mean, I've warned and infractionated posters for insulting others here on the PF, and for making bad remarks about ethnic groups or other groups that folks have no control over being a part of.

But, I just have to be honest here. As an EMT, and as a disaster worker involved in the H1N1 outbreak, to see such adults behaving like brainwashed children is astounding to me. And even worse, if they respond to a pandemic threat this way, that casts a dark cloud for me over anything Orthodox Jews have to say about anything else.

I'd better stop for tonight. I had no idea. This is depressing. Maybe I need to go back to some old threads and reverse some infractions...

10. Aug 13, 2009 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: You had better avoid any religious studies. You may never come out of your house again.

11. Aug 13, 2009 #10

berkeman

Count on it!

12. Aug 13, 2009 #11

drizzle

Gold Member

you just took the word out of my mouth, did I say something different! besides I don’t care, just gotta mention it

13. Aug 13, 2009 #12

Having seen what won't pass on PF, it amazes me that this thread passes. What's up?

14. Aug 13, 2009 #13

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It doesn't. This is discussion of a specific religion.

15. Aug 13, 2009 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is what I see as the critical issue: If we are to live in peace as a global community, we have to learn to respect all peaceful beliefs. Something like 90% of the people in the world have religious beliefs; traditions like this will not disappear any time soon no matter how silly they may seem to a non-believer or people of other faiths. We cannot expect to live together in peace if any given 10% [be it atheists or people of a particular belief] of the population ridicules the other 90%; or if 90% gangs up on any given 10%.

Also keep in mind [not talking to you specifically Berke] that while religious beliefs may insult some people's intelligence, insulting someone's religious beliefs can be a deeply personal offense. Unless a person has been religious, it is impossible to understand the difference - the two situations are orders of magnitude apart in significance to the individual.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  16. Aug 13, 2009 #15

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I locked the thread. Please address all hate mail to me. Thanks! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook