Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Regarding graviton and negative energy

1. Jan 8, 2014 #1
    Hi. I recently listened to a lecture by Alan Guth, speaking about cosmological inflation. He made the statement that the energy of a gravitational field is negative (followed by a great thought experiment with a collapsing shell of matter to demonstrate this). I am curious; does this mean that the graviton itself would be a particle made of negative energy?? Perhaps I'm over simplifying.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2014 #2
    No, the potential energy of two particles held by some interaction has nothing to do with the energy of the quanta of the interaction field.

4. Jan 9, 2014 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is all a bit speculative as we do not yet know whether there is a particle in existence with the actual properties of a graviton. I guess you could say that a graviton, if it existed, would be 'associated with' negative energy - or at least 'subtractive energy'.
    And what about the photon? The exchange of virtual photons is a possible way of looking at the attractive force between opposite charges. Does imply that a virtual photon is "made of negative energy"?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook