Regarding graviton and negative energy

Hi. I recently listened to a lecture by Alan Guth, speaking about cosmological inflation. He made the statement that the energy of a gravitational field is negative (followed by a great thought experiment with a collapsing shell of matter to demonstrate this). I am curious; does this mean that the graviton itself would be a particle made of negative energy?? Perhaps I'm over simplifying.

Answers and Replies

does this mean that the graviton itself would be a particle made of negative energy??
No, the potential energy of two particles held by some interaction has nothing to do with the energy of the quanta of the interaction field.

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2020 Award
This is all a bit speculative as we do not yet know whether there is a particle in existence with the actual properties of a graviton. I guess you could say that a graviton, if it existed, would be 'associated with' negative energy - or at least 'subtractive energy'.
And what about the photon? The exchange of virtual photons is a possible way of looking at the attractive force between opposite charges. Does imply that a virtual photon is "made of negative energy"?