Reionization and the free-flow of light

• I
  • Thread starter Ranku
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary: The era of recombination" is the earliest point in our cosmic history to which we can look back with any form of light. This is what we see as the Cosmic Microwave Background today...Following this are the cosmic dark ages - a period of time after the Universe became transparent but before the first stars formed. When the first stars formed, it ended the dark ages, and started the next epoch in our universe. ...Another change occurred after the first stars started to form. ...This era, from the end of the dark ages to when the universe was around a billion years old, is known as "the epoch of reionization." It refers to the point when most of the neutral
Ranku
Why does neutral gas before reionization block the flow of light, and how does ionization help the flow of light?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Both phenomena are the result of photon interactions with matter. If the matter is cold (neutral gas), the photons are absorbed. If the gas is hot (ionized), photon emission takes place.

The above may be an oversimplification. These processes are part of the general description of photon matter interactions. The astronomy is is incidental.

• Informative
Likes Ranku
Ranku said:
and how does ionization help the flow of light?
It doesn't help - but at the time of re-ionization the matter was spread out so much that most light wasn't stopped any more.

• Informative
Likes Ranku
Ranku said:
Why does neutral gas before reionization block the flow of light
The period before reionization is commonly referred as Dark Ages. The neutral hydrogen from this period doesn't block any light (ignoring the absorption lines). It is dark just because there are no light sources, except CMBR, which is transparently propagating since epoch of recombination.

lomidrevo said:
The period before reionization is commonly referred as Dark Ages. The neutral hydrogen from this period doesn't block any light (ignoring the absorption lines). It is dark just because there are no light sources, except CMBR, which is transparently propagating since epoch of recombination.
I meant it in the sense of free flow of radiation, rather than the visibility of it.

What exactly do you mean by ?
Ranku said:
free flow of radiation
If you mean, that light (radiation) can propagate unaffected, then as I said above, the universe was pretty transparent in this period, so there occurred no "blocking of the flow of light" as you assumed in your original question:
Ranku said:
Why does neutral gas before reionization block the flow of light,...
If the universe were not transparent during that period, we couldn't observe the CMBR these days.

I suggest you to read this article, I think it provides very nice brief explanation of these concepts. Quoting some of the most relevant parts:
"The era of recombination" is the earliest point in our cosmic history to which we can look back with any form of light. This is what we see as the Cosmic Microwave Background today
Following this are the cosmic dark ages - a period of time after the Universe became transparent but before the first stars formed. When the first stars formed, it ended the dark ages, and started the next epoch in our universe.
Another change occurred after the first stars started to form.
This era, from the end of the dark ages to when the universe was around a billion years old, is known as "the epoch of reionization." It refers to the point when most of the neutral hydrogen was reionized by the increasing radiation from the first massive stars.
The emergence of these first stars marks the end of the "Dark Ages" in cosmic history, a period characterized by the absence of discrete sources of light.

lomidrevo said:
What exactly do you mean by ?

If you mean, that light (radiation) can propagate unaffected, then as I said above, the universe was pretty transparent in this period, so there occurred no "blocking of the flow of light" as you assumed in your original question:

If the universe were not transparent during that period, we couldn't observe the CMBR these days.

I suggest you to read this article, I think it provides very nice brief explanation of these concepts. Quoting some of the most relevant parts:
I was actually trying to clarify what Ethan Siegel meant in his blog Starts With A Bang, when he wrote "Before stars or galaxies formed, the Universe was full of light-blocking, neutral atoms."

From this article:
While the electrons of neutral hydrogen can absorb photons of some wavelengths by rising to an excited state, a universe full of neutral hydrogen will be relatively opaque only at those absorbed wavelengths, but transparent throughout most of the spectrum.

Maybe the blog is referring to Lyman alpha absorption line, when UV photons at wavelength 121.567 nm are absorbed by the hydrogen atom. As these photons travels through multiple gas clouds with various redshifts, a series of multiple absorption lines is formed, called Lyman-alpha forest, see this article. But these absorption lines affects only small part of the spectrum. I still think it is appropriate to say that universe was transparent at that time.

• Informative
Likes Bandersnatch and Ranku

1. What is reionization?

Reionization is a process that occurred in the early universe, around 400,000 years after the Big Bang, where the neutral hydrogen gas that filled the universe was ionized by the intense radiation from the first stars and galaxies. This allowed light to freely travel through the universe.

2. Why is reionization important?

Reionization is important because it marks a significant change in the state of the early universe. It allowed light to travel freely, which is crucial for studying the universe and understanding its evolution. Reionization also played a key role in the formation of the first stars and galaxies.

3. How does reionization affect the free-flow of light?

Before reionization, the neutral hydrogen gas in the universe absorbed most of the light that passed through it, making it difficult for light to travel long distances. However, once the gas was ionized, light was able to travel freely through the universe without being absorbed, allowing us to see further and more clearly into the early universe.

4. How do scientists study reionization?

Scientists study reionization through various methods, including observations of distant galaxies and quasars, as well as using computer simulations. They look for specific wavelengths of light that are absorbed by neutral hydrogen, which can give clues about the state of the universe during the reionization period.

5. When did reionization occur?

Reionization is believed to have occurred between 400 million and 1 billion years after the Big Bang. However, the exact timing and duration of reionization is still a topic of ongoing research and debate among scientists.