Rejection region of hypothesis testing

In summary: to the 89.9% percentile, so in this case a rejection region of ##z \le -1.282## is slightly better for a 90% confidence level.
songoku
TL;DR Summary
Let say I want to do one tail hypothesis testing using z - test with significance level of 10%. The null hypothesis is μ = 100 and alternative hypothesis is μ < 100. What will be the rejection region ?
From z-table, I get the critical value of z is -1.282

Will the rejection region be z < -1.282 or z ≤ -1.282? If I calculate the test statistics and it has value of -1.282, would I reject or accept null hypothesis?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The odds of that are so small that you can really go either way. You should consider that the evidence of the alternative hypothesis is as weak as a 10% can get.

Likes songoku
songoku said:
Summary:: Let say I want to do one tail hypothesis testing using z - test with significance level of 10%. The null hypothesis is μ = 100 and alternative hypothesis is μ < 100. What will be the rejection region ?

Will the rejection region be z < -1.282
This one, since your null hypothesis is μ = 100. Really, though, the null hypothesis should be ##\mu \ge 100##, to accommodate samples with a mean larger than 100.

As already noted, it makes no difference practically to have z < -1.282 or ##z \le -1.282## to determine whether to reject the null hypothesis.

Likes songoku
There are several levels at which to set the test: 10%, 5%, 2.5%, all the way down to ##5*\sigma = 3*10^{-7}## for discovering a new particle. The reason that the acceptance levels are set at those levels is to minimize the risk of a type I error (accepting the alternative hypothesis when it is false) or to convince a skeptical audience. You can do whatever you want with a result of ##z=-1.282##, but you should keep in mind the consequence of an error or how a skeptical audience would react.

Likes songoku
songoku said:
Summary:: Let say I want to do one tail hypothesis testing using z - test with significance level of 10%. The null hypothesis is μ = 100 and alternative hypothesis is μ < 100. What will be the rejection region ?

Will the rejection region be z < -1.282 or z ≤ -1.282?
It doesn’t matter. The difference in the probabilities between those two possibilities is 0.

Likes songoku and jim mcnamara
Ok so it means that if the test statistics is the same as critical value, then rejecting or accepting null hypothesis should include other factor such as type I error or maybe some other logical reasoning or the experiment needs to be repeated to have more certain data

Thank you very much FactChecker, Mark44, Dale

Dale said:
It doesn’t matter. The difference in the probabilities between those two possibilities is 0.
While this is absolute correct mathematically, practically there is some cutoff - if you are using Excel floating point the 90% cutoff is
1.2815515655446​
So at that precision it practically does not matter, however if you are just going to 3 decimal places, 1.282 is slighly more than the 90% percentile while 1.281 is closer

What is the rejection region in hypothesis testing?

The rejection region in hypothesis testing is the set of values that, if obtained during a statistical test, would lead to the rejection of the null hypothesis. It is determined based on the significance level and the test statistic.

Why is the rejection region important in hypothesis testing?

The rejection region is important because it helps determine whether the results of a statistical test are statistically significant or not. If the test statistic falls within the rejection region, it indicates that the null hypothesis is unlikely to be true and the alternative hypothesis is more likely to be true.

How is the rejection region determined?

The rejection region is determined based on the significance level, which is typically set at 0.05 or 0.01, and the test statistic. The significance level represents the maximum probability of rejecting the null hypothesis when it is actually true. The test statistic is calculated from the sample data and compared to critical values from a statistical table or calculated using software.

Can the rejection region be changed?

Yes, the rejection region can be changed by adjusting the significance level. A higher significance level will result in a larger rejection region, making it easier to reject the null hypothesis. However, this also increases the likelihood of making a Type I error (incorrectly rejecting the null hypothesis).

What are the consequences of incorrectly determining the rejection region?

If the rejection region is incorrectly determined, it can lead to incorrect conclusions about the null hypothesis. If the region is too large, it may result in a higher likelihood of making a Type I error. If the region is too small, it may result in a higher likelihood of making a Type II error (incorrectly failing to reject the null hypothesis).