Question about Chi-Square Test Regarding Normal Distribution

• B
  • Thread starter songoku
  • Start date
songoku
TL;DR Summary
Let say I have 50 raw data of height of students. I want to do goodness of fit test to check whether normal distribution is appropriate model for the data at a certain significance level
The first step is to group the data and make a table so I can get the observed frequency for each data interval. I did two different groupings (something like 150 - 160 , 160 - 170 , etc and the other is 150 - 170, 170 - 190, etc) and found out that the conclusion of the hypothesis is different, one resulting in accepting null hypothesis and the other rejecting the null hypothesis.

Is it possible different grouping resulting in different conclusion? Or there should be mistake in my working?

Thanks

Answers and Replies

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
You suffer from low statistics -- 50 events isn't much to confirm a distribution.

BWV
In reality, as everyone knows the height of individuals has finite variance, you can just rely on the CLT with n=50 to assume normality

FactChecker
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
It certainly is possible to get different results. Your first grouping would show more detail than your second grouping. It would also have twice the degrees of freedom, so the Chi-Squared distribution is different.

songoku
Thank you very much for the help and explanation BWV, BvU, FactChecker

Suggested for: Question about Chi-Square Test Regarding Normal Distribution

• Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views