Rejuvenation catalyst for Petrobond (R)

• Thread starter Flyboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Catalyst
In summary, the conversation discusses the rejuvenation catalyst for Petrobond (R) foundry sand and potential substitutes for it. The sand is used for casting various items and can become burnt and unusable after coming into contact with metal. Some possible catalysts include propylene carbonate, isopropyl alcohol, and propylene glycol. The group also discusses the environmental implications of disposing of used sand with additives and the potential uses of Kitty Litter as a substitute for sand.
Flyboy
I was wondering if you guys could help me out here. I would like to know what the rejuvenation catalyst for Petrobond (R) foundry sand is, if there is one at all.:confused: If you guys could get me the answer before the end of the day, I would appreciate it. :wink:

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not sure why my first instinct is to say 'Kitty Litter', but it's probably wrong.

Danger, you actually got one of the parts of the foundry sand correct. Cat litter has bentonite clay in it, as does foundry sand. Pretty close. I think it may be oil, but I'm not sure.

Geez, I was just trying to live up to my medal. :redface:

Perhaps if you tell me what the sand is used for and what state it needs to be 'rejuvenated' from, I can check around. I was going on the assumption that it was for casting parts, but I thought that it would be fused after that.

The sand is used to cast items ranging from hacksaw handles in metalshop classes to a 4,200 pound brass ship propellor. the problem is that the sand that touches the metal has the oil burned out of it. the oil comes out as smoke, leaving burnt sand behind. to make it useable again, you have to add oil. I found a couple of different catalysts. one catalyst turned out to be propylene carbonate. others were isopropyl alchohol, a mix of 90% methanol and 10% water, and propylene glycol (coolant/antifreeze). they say that the propylene carbonate or methanol/water mix is best. thanks guys.

I would have to run over to our foundry to check. I can't guarantee I can get back to you before tomorrow though.

Well, that's kinda neat, Flyboy. I never knew that there was anything mixed with the sand, and couldn't figure out how it held its shape. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Flyboy said:
It's OK. I got my information from a site about a home foundry. the address is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hobbicast/message/33936. :approve:
Reclimation or rejuvination is only good for so long. As a side note to consider, when we ship our used sand to the dump, because of the additives, we have to ensure that the waste sand is not considered hazardous waste. It never is, but environmental regs require the testing. Just as an FYI.

Glad you found your info.

So does the casting process burn the oil right into the sand, as in bonding a carbon layer to it, or does the residue just get washed out in the reclaimation?

I just remembered why Kitty Litter came to mind as a sand substitute, and it has nothing to do with industrial processes. It was about using it under your tires when you're stuck in winter. :redface:

Danger said:
I just remembered why Kitty Litter came to mind as a sand substitute, and it has nothing to do with industrial processes. It was about using it under your tires when you're stuck in winter. :redface:

Or using it to absorb engine oil spilt on your garage floor, making it easy to sweep up.

Quite so, Mr. Nog. Also, an antifreeze spill, which will kill your cat if he licks it, is well taken care of by litter.

1. What is the purpose of the Rejuvenation catalyst for Petrobond (R)?

The Rejuvenation catalyst for Petrobond (R) is designed to extend the life of Petrobond sand molds used in metal casting. It helps to prevent the breakdown of the sand and maintains its strength and resilience, allowing for multiple uses of the same mold.

2. How does the Rejuvenation catalyst for Petrobond (R) work?

The Rejuvenation catalyst for Petrobond (R) works by replenishing the binder and additives in the Petrobond sand. These components are essential for maintaining the sand's bonding properties and keeping the mold intact. The catalyst helps to restore these elements, extending the lifespan of the mold.

3. Is the Rejuvenation catalyst for Petrobond (R) environmentally friendly?

Yes, the Rejuvenation catalyst for Petrobond (R) is designed to be environmentally friendly. It is made with natural, non-toxic ingredients and does not produce harmful fumes or by-products. It is also biodegradable, making it a safe and sustainable choice for the casting industry.

4. How often should the Rejuvenation catalyst for Petrobond (R) be used?

The frequency of use for the Rejuvenation catalyst for Petrobond (R) depends on the intensity of use and the condition of the mold. In general, it is recommended to use the catalyst every 20-30 molds or when the mold shows signs of degradation. Regular use of the catalyst can help extend the life of the mold and improve casting quality.

5. Can the Rejuvenation catalyst for Petrobond (R) be used with other types of sand molds?

The Rejuvenation catalyst for Petrobond (R) is specifically designed for use with Petrobond sand molds. It may not be as effective or suitable for use with other types of sand molds. It is best to consult with a professional or the manufacturer before using the catalyst with a different type of sand mold.