Related Rates height of rising water

In summary: So, in summary, the answer is (dv/dt)/(LW) and the quotient rule is not necessary to use in this case. Also, it is important to pay attention and not make careless mistakes.
uradnky

Homework Statement

A rectangular swimming pool 16m x 10m is being filled at a rate of .8m^3/min. How fast is height of the water rising?

Homework Equations

V = LWH

The Attempt at a Solution

H = V/LW
(dh/dt) = LW(dv/dt)
(dh/dt) = (10)(16)(.8)

This question looks so easy and I realize I am probablly making a stupid mistake somewhere, could someone point it out for me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
V=abh----(*), where a=16, b=10, h is the height and it is changing so we don't know it.

we need to know

[tex]\frac{dh}{dt}=??[/tex] we also know that

[tex]\frac{dV}{dt}=.8\frac{m^{3}}{min}[/tex]

Now differentiate implicitly (*) and plug in the information you were provided. Does this help?

Ok, where u went wrong is that LW should be on denominator, and not on the numerator.

(dh/dt) = (dv/dt)/(LW)

Thanks for the help. One thing I don't understand though..
I rearrange V = LWH to solve for H.
That gives me H = V/LW.
Now when I take the derivate implicitly, wouldn't I need to use the quotient rule to get the derivative of V/LW? That is how I got LW(dv/dt) and not the correct answer of (dv/dt)/(LW)

uradnky said:
Thanks for the help. One thing I don't understand though..
I rearrange V = LWH to solve for H.
That gives me H = V/LW.
Now when I take the derivate implicitly, wouldn't I need to use the quotient rule to get the derivative of V/LW? That is how I got LW(dv/dt) and not the correct answer of (dv/dt)/(LW)

BUt notice that Length (L) and Width(W) are constants. In general:

[tex]\frac{d(Cf(x))}{dx}=C\frac{d(f(x))}{dx}[/tex] C is a constant

So since the denominator is a constant it isn't necessary to use the quotient rule?

uradnky said:
So since the denominator is a constant it isn't necessary to use the quotient rule?

Well, even if you used the quotient rule, you will get the exact same answer, if you do the calculations right at first place.

See what happenes if you really want to apply the quotient rule

[tex](\frac{V}{LW})'=\frac{V'LW-(LW)'V}{(LW)^{2}}=\frac{V'LW}{(LW)^{2}}=\frac{V'}{LW}[/tex]

SO, the answer is the same, that's why i love math, because it is all consistent, no matter which way u decide to pursue.

If I tried this using the quotient rule, would this be the correct way to go about it? (I know it isnt..)
(dh/dt) = (160)(dv/dt)-(v)(0)

Last edited:
uradnky said:
(I know it isnt..)
(dh/dt) = (160)(dv/dt)-(v)(0)

Well, i think you answered it yourself.

Do you know the quotient rule?

(dh/dt) = (160)(.8)

= 128 ...this isn't the correct answer?

uradnky said:
(dh/dt) = (160)(.8)

= 128 ...this isn't the correct answer?
No.

it should read sth like

.8/160= whatever

You need to review the quotient rule!

V= L*w*h
dh/dt=?
Derivative of V = K h

dv/dt =K dh/dt
.8m^3/min = 160 dh/dt
(.8m^3/min)/160m^2 = dh/dt
Notice we know it is the correct answer because the Units cancel out this is very interesting fact that even if you don't really know what your doing as long as the unit makes sense then your good remeber this for your next test lol!

( the length is not changin the width is not changing only the height is changin as you fill the pool)

kjlhdfkljdshfkljnvckjnd pretty ugly mistake. I guess I haven't done quotient rule in awhile hah. I didn't pay any attention when you showed me how to do it with the quotient rule. Sorry for wasting your time bro, but thanks for all the help.

What is "Related Rates height of rising water"?

"Related Rates height of rising water" is a mathematical concept that involves finding the rate of change of one quantity with respect to another quantity. Specifically, it refers to the rate at which the height of water in a container is changing as the water is being poured in or drained out.

How is "Related Rates height of rising water" used in real life?

Related rates problems can be found in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to determine the rate at which water is flowing in and out of a tank, or the rate at which a balloon is expanding as air is being pumped into it.

What are the steps to solving a "Related Rates height of rising water" problem?

The first step is to identify the variables involved and their rates of change. Then, use an appropriate formula or equation to relate the variables. Next, take the derivative of the equation with respect to time. Finally, plug in the known values and solve for the unknown rate of change.

What are some common mistakes when solving "Related Rates height of rising water" problems?

Some common mistakes include not properly identifying the variables and their rates of change, using incorrect formulas or equations, and not taking the derivative correctly. It is also important to pay attention to the units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem.

How can I practice and improve my skills in solving "Related Rates height of rising water" problems?

You can practice by solving a variety of related rates problems and checking your answers. There are also online resources and textbooks that provide practice problems and solutions. Additionally, it is helpful to understand the concepts and formulas involved, and to regularly review and practice solving problems. Seeking help from a tutor or teacher can also be beneficial.