Relationship between magnitude of current and magnetic field

In summary, the magnitude of magnetic force acting on both conductors the same even if the currents are not equal is because the force is proportional to the product of current.
ellieee
Homework Statement
why is the magnitude of magnetic force acting on both conductors the same even if the currents are not equal? in my opinion, when there is more current, doesn't it mean there is more electricity, so larger magnetic field?
Relevant Equations
nil
16294476409581068536557467247910.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
ellieee said:
Homework Statement:: why is the magnitude of magnetic force acting on both conductors the same even if the currents are not equal? in my opinion, when there is more current, doesn't it mean there is more electricity, so larger magnetic field?
I assume you are talking about the force between two current-carrying conductors.

The conductor with the greater current will produce the greater magnetic field. But the force it exerts on the other conductor is proportional to that second conductor's current. So the force they exert on each other is the same.

Without going into math details, we can invoke Newton's 3rd Law and get that the two forces are equal and opposite, but anyway:
Well let me do the math for you to see that they are equal:
Suppose we have to infinite parallel conductors with currents ##I_1,I_2##, and the respective magnetic fields ##B_1(r)=\frac{\mu_0}{2\pi}\frac{I_1}{r}##, ##B_2(r)=\frac{\mu_0}{2\pi}\frac{I_2}{r-d}##, where d is their in between distance.

Then the force from 1 to 2 $$F_{12}=B_1(d)I_2L$$ while the force from 2 to 1 is $$F_{21}=B_2(0)I_1L$$. It is elementary math to work out to see that $$F_{12}=-F_{21}$$.

Doc Al said:
But the force it exerts on the other conductor is proportional to that second conductor's current
then example if the "magnitude" of the 1st conductor has a bigger magnetic strength of 10 and the 2nd conductor is 5, so in the end they will exert a magnetic force of magnitude 5 on each other ?

Delta2 said:
Without going into math details, we can invoke Newton's 3rd Law and get that the two forces are equal and opposite, but anyway:
Suppose we have to infinite parallel conductors with currents ##I_1,I_2##, and the respective magnetic fields ##B_1(r)=\frac{\mu_0}{2\pi}\frac{I_1}{r}##, ##B_2(r)=\frac{\mu_0}{2\pi}\frac{I_2}{r-d}##, where d is their in between distance.

Then the force from 1 to 2 $$F_{12}=B_1(d)I_2L$$ while the force from 2 to 1 is $$F_{21}=B_2(0)I_1L$$. It is elementary math to work out to see that $$F_{12}=-F_{21}$$.
Screenshot_20210820_183521_com.android.chrome.jpg

hmmm sorry this Is how it looks like on my phone 😬

Press the refresh page button of your browser.

Delta2 said:

hmm I don't really get it tho sorry:( can u look at my post 4?

Well it is because if we do the math (which you don't understand but ok I can't do much about it) we end up that both forces are proportional to the product of currents ##I_1I_2##, so it doesn't really matter if the currents are not equal. Both currents contribute to the magnitude of both forces.

ellieee said:
then example if the "magnitude" of the 1st conductor has a bigger magnetic strength of 10 and the 2nd conductor is 5, so in the end they will exert a magnetic force of magnitude 5 on each other ?
No. (As @Delta2 explained.)

The field from conductor #1 is proportional to ##I_1##; but the force it exerts on conductor #2 is also proportional to the current in #2 (##I_2##). So the force is proportional to ##I_1I_2##.

And if you were to figure out the force on #1 from #2, you'd find it's proportional to ##I_2I_1## -- which is the same as ##I_1I_2##.

And, as @Delta2 points out, this had better be the case to satisfy Newton's 3rd law.

You might want to read this: Magnetic Force Between Wires

Likes Delta2

1. What is the relationship between the magnitude of current and magnetic field?

The relationship between the magnitude of current and magnetic field is described by Ampere's Law, which states that the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying wire is directly proportional to the magnitude of the current.

2. How does the direction of current affect the magnetic field?

The direction of current affects the magnetic field by determining the direction of the magnetic field lines. The right-hand rule can be used to determine the direction of the magnetic field around a current-carrying wire.

3. Does increasing the current always result in a stronger magnetic field?

Yes, according to Ampere's Law, increasing the current will result in a stronger magnetic field. However, the distance from the wire also affects the strength of the magnetic field, so the effect may not be significant at larger distances.

4. How does the distance from the wire affect the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field decreases as the distance from the wire increases. This is because the magnetic field follows an inverse square law, meaning that the strength decreases as the distance squared.

5. Can the magnitude of current be used to manipulate the strength of a magnetic field?

Yes, the magnitude of current can be used to manipulate the strength of a magnetic field. By increasing or decreasing the current, the strength of the magnetic field can be adjusted. This is why electromagnets are able to control the strength of their magnetic fields by changing the current flowing through the wire.