1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship between moles of O2 and Ch2 Units in a combustion reaction

1. Nov 7, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I want to find a relationship between the number of moles of O2 used and the number of CH2 units in an alkane in a complete combustion reaction.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Right now I have come up with a math equation, given X units of CH2, to find the number of O2 moles. I used patterns to find the equation, is there any other relationship? The more units of CH2 you have, the more O2 you need to combust it right?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2011 #2

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is very very elementary but just give a chemical equation if you want help although you seem to say you have solved it.

4. Nov 7, 2011 #3
    It was a generic question, I'm only concerned that I am not thinking outside of the box by considering only the mathematical relationship.

5. Nov 8, 2011 #4

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Until you write down what your actual thoughts are, preferably in some sort of formula or calculation, we do not know what you mean.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook