Raoult's Law Problem: Estimate Mole Fractions at 65K

• Thread starter Samuel1321
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, to solve this problem, you will need to use the Antoine equation to determine the vapor pressure of each gas at the given temperature. Then, using the total pressure and the mole fractions of each gas, you can set up equations to determine the split of liquid and vapor and the final pressure. This may be a challenging problem, but with the help of the Antoine equation, you can accurately estimate the mole fractions of each gas in both the liquid and gas phases.
Samuel1321

Homework Statement

Consider air to be made up of only N2 (78 mole %), O2 (21%) and Ar (1%)
Estimate the mole fractions of each in both the liquid and gas phases if 1 mole of air at 300 K and 4 atm. total pressure were cooled to 65 K in the same volume

Homework Equations

Raoult's law Pi = Pi* xi

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that the atmospheric pressure is 760 torr. So before they are cooled

vapor pressure of N2 would be (0.78)(760) torr

Vapor Pressure of O2 would be (0.21)(760) torr

Vapor Pressure of Ar would be (0.01)(760) Torr

I'm not sure how should I proceed. Maybe I should use the Clausius Clapeyron equation to find the final pressure after cooling it down? But what delta H value should I use?

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the question again; what is the initial total pressure?
You need to know the boiling points and enthalpies of vaporisation of the gases, but these should be easy to look up.

What are the Antoine equations for these three substances?

mjc123 said:
Look at the question again; what is the initial total pressure?
You need to know the boiling points and enthalpies of vaporisation of the gases, but these should be easy to look up.

The initial total pressure is 4 atm.

Should I just find the final total pressure first using the clasius clapeyron equation? The problem is if I use the CC equation, which enthalpy of vaporization should I use?

Chestermiller said:
What are the Antoine equations for these three substances?

I have not learned that equation yet, is there another way to solve this problem?

Samuel1321 said:
I have not learned that equation yet, is there another way to solve this problem?
The Antoine equation is an 3-parameter very accurate fit to the integrated Clausius-Clapeyron equation. The parameters are available for common substances like oxygen, nitrogen, and argon, so you don't have to integrate the CC equation to describe the VLE behavior of the pure species. Google it, and get the Antoine equation parameters for your 3 species. This way, you don't need to know the boiling point, and the heat capacities of the vapor and liquid as functions of temperature, and you don't need to integrate the CC equation.

Of course, to solve your problem, the VLE behavior of the pure species is only the first step. Given the overall mole fractions of the 3 species, you need to determine the split of liquid and vapor, and the mole fractions of the 3 species in the liquid and in the vapor.

@Samuel1321 Do you have any idea how to go about setting up the equations for this problem? It is pretty challenging. There will be two main unknowns: the fractional split of liquid and vapor and the final pressure. I can lead you through how to set up the two key equations, if you are willing to work with me. Any interest?

1. What is Raoult's Law?

Raoult's Law is a principle in physical chemistry that describes the relationship between the vapor pressure of a solvent and the mole fraction of that solvent in a solution. It states that the vapor pressure of a solvent above a solution is directly proportional to the mole fraction of that solvent in the solution.

2. How is Raoult's Law used to estimate mole fractions?

To estimate mole fractions using Raoult's Law, you need to know the vapor pressure of the solvent at a given temperature, as well as the total vapor pressure of the solution at that temperature. By rearranging the equation for Raoult's Law, you can solve for the mole fraction of the solvent in the solution.

3. What is the significance of estimating mole fractions at 65K?

65K is a commonly used temperature in physical chemistry experiments and calculations. By estimating mole fractions at this temperature, scientists can better understand the behavior of solvents and their solutions at low temperatures.

4. Can Raoult's Law be applied to all types of solutions?

No, Raoult's Law is only applicable to ideal solutions, which are solutions that obey Raoult's Law at all concentrations and temperatures. Real solutions, which deviate from Raoult's Law, may require more complex equations to accurately estimate mole fractions.

5. How does temperature affect Raoult's Law?

The vapor pressure of a solvent increases with temperature, so as the temperature increases, the mole fraction of the solvent in the solution also increases according to Raoult's Law. Therefore, the estimated mole fractions at 65K may be different from those at higher temperatures.