Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship of Basis to Dual Basis

1. Nov 26, 2011 #1
    If we're working in R^n and we consider the elements of a basis for R^n to be the column vectors of an nxn invertible matrix B, then what is the relationship between B and the matrix whose row vectors represent elements of the corresponding dual basis for R^n*? My guess, which Wikipedia helped me formulate, is that the row vectors of the inverse of B constitute the dual basis, but I'm still not sure. Also, if we're working in general finite-dimensional vector spaces, does the process of finding a dual basis become harder, or is it trivial once you know how to do it for R^n?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The "dual" of a vector space, V, is the set of linear functions from V to the real numbers. If you are representing the vectors, v, as column matrices, then you can represent the dual vectors, v*, as row matrices. The value of the function is the matrix product v*v.

More generally, given basis vectors [itex]v_1, v_2, v_3, ..., v_n[/itex] for V, you can define n functions by [itex]f_1(x_1)= 1[/itex], [itex]f_1(x_i)= 0[/itex] for [itex]i\ne 1[/itex], [itex]f_2(x_2)= 1[/itex], [itex]f_2(x_i)= 0[/itex] for [itex]i\ne 2[/itex] and, generally, [itex]f_j(x_i)= n[/itex] if i= j, [itex]f_j(x_i)= 0[/itex] if [itex]i\ne j[/itex]. Show that those functions form a basis for the dual of V.

In finite dimensional vector spaces, if two vectors spaces have the same dimensionl, they are isomorphic so the dual of a finite dimensional vector space is isomorphic to the vector space. In infinite dimensions, that is not true. However, the "dual of the dual" of a vector space is always isomorphic to the vector space.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook