Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative Size Of Electro-Magnetic Spectrum

1. Jul 19, 2013 #1
    I Watched A Video . In Which , It's Mentioned That The

Relative Size Of..

Gamma Rays - Atomic Nucleus
    X-Rays - Atom
    Ultra-Violet Rays - DNA
    Visible Light - Bacteria
    Radio Waves - Mountain Ranges

What's Mean By Relative Size ? I'm Confused Alot !

Thanks Alot In Advance For You Help

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2013 #2

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It simply means that e.g. the wavelength of gamma rays is similar to the typical radius of atomic nuclei.

4. Jul 20, 2013 #3
    Thanks Alot

Thanks Alot For Your Help :)

I Have Another Doubt . Does It Mean The Radius or Diameter ? Because Wavelength Of Gamma Rays is 10(power -15) which is the diameter of nucleus .so you're referring to diameter ... (right?)

5. Jul 20, 2013 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

When we make crude comparisons like this, we usually don't try to be more exact than the nearest power (exponent) of 10, in which case a factor of 2 or 1/2 is not significant.

6. Jul 20, 2013 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Gamma rays have a broad spectrum, with roughly 10-15m as maximal wavelength and without a minimal wavelength - and the first border is not very strict, different scientists use different values.

Nuclei have different radii, too - an uranium nucleus (92 protons and ~145 neutrons) is larger than a hydrogen nucleus (a single proton).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook