Relative velocity and conservation of momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two particles with masses m and 3m colliding in an elastic head-on collision. The participants discuss different methods for solving the problem, including the use of relative velocity and conservation of momentum and energy. They also mention the concept of coefficient of restitution and its relation to elastic collisions. Finally, they discuss the assumption that both particles are traveling at the same velocity after the collision and how it affects the solution.
Maiia

Homework Statement

Two particles of masses m and 3m are moving toward each other along the x-axis
with the same speed v. They undergo a head-on elastic collision and rebound along the x-
axis.

I don't seem to be getting the right answer...I would really appreciate it if someone could help me figure out what I did wrong.

I put the smaller mass as A and the bigger mass as B.
MaVia + MbVib= MaVfa + MbVfb
mv - 3mv= mVfa + 3MVfb
-2mv= mVfa + 3MVfb

then i used relative velocity formula
Vaf-Vbf= -(Vai-Vbi)
Vaf - Vbf= 2v
Vaf= 2v+Vbf

Then I substituted into the equation
-2mv= m(2v+Vbf) + 3MVfb
-2mv= 2mv + 2mVbf + 3MVbf
-4mv= 5mvbf
-4/5v= vbf

Physics news on Phys.org
Relative velocity formula? What's that? You want to use conservation of momentum (you got that equation right). Now you want to use conservation of energy to get a second equation for Vfa and Vfb. That's what 'elastic' means.

my teacher said we could use relative velocity for head on collisions..

Maiia said:
my teacher said we could use relative velocity for head on collisions..

Perhaps you can, but that would be a version of conservation of momentum. You need another relation here. You really have to use conservation of kinetic energy.

I think you mean for elastic collision

velocity of approach = velocity of separation

mukundpa said:
I think you mean for elastic collision

velocity of approach = velocity of separation

No. I mean what I said. That's not right.

I think we can get this using energy conservation law. I think from here only we define coefficient of restitution.

mukundpa said:
I think we can get this using energy conservation law. I think from here only we define coefficient of restitution.

I don't know what that is. I think 'elastic'=conserve energy and momentum. Is that the 'relative velocity rule' the poster is talking about? If it is equivalent to energy conservation then it will work. But I just don't know this jargon.

The conservation of linear momentum and energy both leads to a relation

u1 - u2 = v2 - v1

I think this is called relative velocity of approach = relative velocity of separation and can be used with momentum conservation to avoid square terms.

Sorry, the first reply was for student not for you.

Regards

Last edited:
Right, and it does avoid square terms. I'm sorry, I've just never seen this before. Thanks for the enlightenment. And I've got a doctorate in physics. Shows you can always learn new things. Thanks!

Looking at this problem kinda helped me study for my physics final tomorrow as it is on my exam. Anyways getting back on topic. I think that because it is an elastic collision, we can assume that both objects are traveling at the same velocity after the collision in the -x direction.

If we assume that's the case, then I think it would turn out like this instead:

mVi - 3mVi = -(m + 3m)Vf
mVi - 3mVi = -4mVf
-2mVi = -4mVf
Vi = 2Vf or Vf = .5Vi

I'm not sure if this is how it should be conducted, but it seems to work and make sense.

Maiia said:

then i used relative velocity formula
Vaf-Vbf= -(Vai-Vbi)
Vaf - Vbf= 2v
Vaf= 2v+Vbf

I think it should be

Vbf - Vaf = 2v

1. What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the measurement of the velocity of an object in relation to another object. It takes into account the motion of both objects and their direction of movement. It is important to consider relative velocity when studying interactions between objects.

2. How does relative velocity affect collisions?

Relative velocity plays a crucial role in collisions as it determines the magnitude and direction of the objects' momentum before and after the collision. This helps us understand the outcome of a collision and whether momentum is conserved.

3. What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, regardless of any external forces acting on the system. This means that in a collision, the total momentum before and after the collision will be the same.

4. How does conservation of momentum apply to different types of collisions?

In elastic collisions, where there is no loss of kinetic energy, the total momentum before and after the collision is equal. In inelastic collisions, where there is a loss of kinetic energy, the total momentum is still conserved but the objects may stick together after the collision. In both cases, the law of conservation of momentum still applies.

5. Why is understanding relative velocity and conservation of momentum important in real-world applications?

Understanding these concepts is crucial in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. It helps us predict and analyze the outcome of collisions and interactions between objects, which is essential in designing structures and machines, and studying celestial bodies and their movements.