Two balls and a rod colliding with a ball

In summary, the length of the rod is along the y direction and (A+B+rod) is traveling along the +x direction. Since there is no external force along x direction momentum is conserved along x direction. If v' is velocity of CM of (A+B+P) then 2mv = 3mv' gives v' = 2v/3. Suppose O is a point on the table just below the new CM at the moment of collision. Now, I would like to conserve angular momentum about O. My doubt is regarding the force exerted by the rod on the balls. If the force exerted by rod is along the length then angular momentum can be conserved. But is it correct to assume
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

?temp_hash=7cc68ae5dbc333175c206c045e04d483.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The length of the rod is along
y direction and (A+B+rod) is traveling along +x direction .

Since there is no external force along x direction momentum is conserved along x direction . If v' is velocity of CM of (A+B+P) then

2mv = 3mv' gives v' = 2v/3 .

Suppose O is a point on the table just below the new CM at the moment of collision . Now , I would like to conserve angular momentum about O .

My doubt is regarding the force exerted by the rod on the balls . If the force exerted by rod is along it's length then angular momentum can be conserved .

But is it correct to assume that the rod exerts a force only along its length ? Has it anything to do with the rod being light ?

Attachments

• question.png
    question.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 621
Physics news on Phys.org
Jahnavi said:
My doubt is regarding the force exerted by the rod on the balls .
That force is internal to the system.
In fact it will be along the rod's length for the reason you give. Otherwise the forces on the rod would not cancel completely; there would be either a net force or a net torque. Since the rod is treated as massless that would resukt in an infinite acceleration.

Likes Jahnavi
Thanks .

What if the rod has some mass ? Would the force exerted by the rod on the balls be along the length ?

Jahnavi said:
Thanks for replying .

What if the rod has some mass ? Would the force exerted by the rod on the balls be along the length ?
If the rod has mass then there will be transverse forces between it and the balls. But since these are internal to the system angular momentum is still conserved. You just have to include the moment of inertia of the rod in the equation.
By the way, it is often simpler to avoid finding the mass centre of the system. E.g. you could take your axis as the initial location of P.

Likes Jahnavi
haruspex said:
If the rod has mass then there will be transverse forces between it and the balls.

You mean force perpendicular to the length of rod ?

But why would the force by the rod on the two balls be equal .If they are equal only then the net torque will be zero .Only then angular momentum will be conserved ?

If rod has mass then if we consider ball B as our system , then momentum of ball is no longer conserved as there would be a force exerted by rod on the ball along its velocity ?

But if the rod is massless then force has to be along the length .Right ?

Jahnavi said:
You mean force perpendicular to the length of rod ?
Yes.
Jahnavi said:
why would the force by the rod on the two balls be equal
I did not say it would be. If the rod has mass then there will be a net torque to get it rotating and a net linear force to change its velocity.
Jahnavi said:
if we consider ball B as our system
Why would you do that? To answer the posted question, consider the rod and all three balls as the system.
Jahnavi said:
if the rod is massless then force has to be along the length .Right ?
Yes.

Likes Jahnavi
haruspex said:
If the rod has mass then there will be a net torque to get it rotating and a net linear force

And that net torque and linear force on the rod will be provided by the balls in a direction perpendicular to its length .This justifies the existence of force by the rod on the balls in transverse direction unlike the problem in OP . Right ?

haruspex said:
Why would you do that? To answer the posted question, consider the rod and all three balls as the system.

If we know that the direction of force applied by the rod on the balls is along its length , then this problem becomes very easy .We don't even require to conserve angular momentum :)

This is one of the reasons why I am thinking about direction of force exerted by the rod on the ball .

So , in those types of problems where there is rod having mass with two equal masses at its end , rotating and translating , the force exerted by rod is not necessarily along its length .

Suppose there was a taut string instead of the rod , the approach and the answers to this problem would remain same . Is that correct ?

Last edited:
Jahnavi said:
Now , I would like to conserve angular momentum about O .

My doubt is regarding the force exerted by the rod on the balls . If the force exerted by rod is along it's length then angular momentum can be conserved .

But is it correct to assume that the rod exerts a force only along its length ? Has it anything to do with the rod being light ?
You are right, the angular momentum of the system is conserved. From the text of the problem, the geometry should like as it shown in the picture.
upload_2017-9-19_8-58-8.png

A and P collide, and they exert force on each other during the collision. At this moment, the rod exerts force on the balls A and B in perpendicular directions, but you need not bother about it. Consider A, B, and the rod as a rigid body and find the angular momentum of the system before and after collision,

Likes Jahnavi
Beautiful picture !

Thanks .

ehild said:
At this moment, the rod exerts force on the balls A and B in perpendicular directions, but you need not bother about it.

But then there would be a net torque on a massless rod producing infinite angular acceleration ?

ehild said:
Consider A, B, and the rod as a rigid body and find the angular momentum of the system before and after collision,

If we know that the direction of force applied by the rod on the balls is along its length, then this problem becomes very easy .We don't even require to conserve angular momentum :)

Jahnavi said:
But then there would be a net torque on a massless rod producing infinite angular acceleration ?
If we know that the direction of force applied by the rod on the balls is along its length, then this problem becomes very easy .We don't even require to conserve angular momentum :)
The balls are fixed to the rod. The rod can not have different angular acceleration as the balls. They make a rigid body.
In case of a rigid body we need not consider the forces acting between its parts.
Also, we do not know what forces act during a collision. Therefore, we work with conservation of momentum and conservation of angular momentum of the system consisting of the balls A. B, fixed to the rod, and the ball P.

Last edited:
Likes Jahnavi
Thank you ehild .

@haruspex , please reply to post#7 .

This is a problem from a recent thread at PF .I do not intend to solve this problem . This is just to highlight the issue whether the massless rod can exert transverse force or not .

upload_2017-9-17_12-54-56-png.png

In the last line the question states that the massless rod exerts sidewise forces.

How is this possible ?

Jahnavi said:
This justifies the existence of force by the rod on the balls in transverse direction unlike the problem in OP . Right ?
Yes.
Note that this says that with a massless rod the linear velocity of ball B should not immediately change. Using a whole system approach that is what I found.
Jahnavi said:
the last line the question states that the massless rod exerts sidewise forces.
Yes, I also saw that remark and could not see how it could be true. What is true is that once the system is in motion the rotation will alter the force along the rod.
Consider the case where the mass on the y-axis is below the x axis. We can now replace the rod with a string. This cannot exert any transverse force, yet the string will be taut and the system behave in the same way.

What is the concept of "Two balls and a rod colliding with a ball"?

The concept refers to a situation in which two balls and a rod collide with a third ball, resulting in a transfer of energy and momentum between the objects.

Why is this concept important in physics?

This concept is important because it demonstrates the principles of conservation of energy and momentum, which are fundamental laws in physics.

How is the collision between the objects affected by their masses and velocities?

The collision is affected by the masses and velocities of the objects involved. The larger the mass and velocity of an object, the greater its momentum and the more force it can exert on other objects during a collision.

What factors determine the outcome of the collision?

The outcome of the collision is determined by several factors, including the masses and velocities of the objects, the angle of collision, and the elasticity of the objects (i.e. how much they deform during the collision).

What happens to the total energy and momentum of the system during the collision?

The total energy and momentum of the system are conserved during the collision. This means that the total energy and momentum before the collision is equal to the total energy and momentum after the collision.