Relative velocity and Michelson Morley experiment

In summary, the Michelson-Morley experiment was being studied in preparation for Physics lab. There was a problem with the textbook stating that the velocity of the light ray traveling perpendicularly to the ether wind was \root{c^2-v^2}. Some confusion arose as to whether it should actually be \root{c^2+v^2} since the light ray was supposed to be directed perpendicularly to the ether wind. It was then explained that the beam was angled slightly into the ether wind, similar to a swimmer swimming across a river, and thus the resultant velocity was \root{v^2+c^2}. The concept of relative velocity was also discussed in regards to the swimmer example. The idea
Oerg

Homework Statement

I was reading up on an experiment,The Michelson Morley experiment, in preparation for Physics lab. Then there was this problem. The textbook stated that the velocity of the light ray that was traveling perpendicularly to the ether wind was \root{c^2-v^2}. Shouldn't it have been \root{c^2+v^2} since the light ray was supposed to be directed perpendicularly to the ether wind? Also, shouldn't the velocity in this case \root{c^2+v^2} have been subjected to changes since the ether wind was now also blowing against it?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
is anyone able to help? My professor has come up with an explanation for me but I still don't get it! I feel hard pressed to ask him again.

Attachments

• Michelson-Morley.pdf
    18.7 KB · Views: 190
You might find this analysis helpful: http://galileo.phys.virginia.edu/classes/109N/lectures/michelson.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
I still have problem understanding this:

The light was reflected perpendicularly to the ether wind, this is not similar to the swimmer's example because the swimmer was swimming at an angle. I agree that the velocity the swimmer would be actually swimming was \root{v1^2-v2^2}, however if the light ray was aimed perpendicular to the ether wind shouldn't the resultant velocity be \root{v^2+c^2}?

I understand what you're saying. The way I look at it is that the beam was aimed such that it traveled perpendicular to the direction of the ether wind. In order for it to travel in such a direction the light beam must have been angled slightly into the ether wind (just like the swimmer, who swims directly across the river, must angle himself upstream). (What they really do is just align the beam and mirrors so that the reflected beam returns along the same path.)

hmmmm, i see now doc AI, as long as the beam were to travel perpendicularly to hit the mirror, it was then assumed that they have already directed the beam off at an angle and the ether wind has already shifted the ray to the perpendicular position! (when actually it has not of course)

I just have one more question:
For the swimmer example, let's say the swimmer has a swimming rate of 5 feet/s and is now swimming upstream and the water is flowing at a rate of 2 feet/s. The link you gave me showed that the swimmer should be swimming at 3 feet/s. How is this the case? This is only the case if it was assumed that the mass of water crashing against him is the same as his mass. Isn't this so and a very large and incorrect assumption?

Oerg said:
This is only the case if it was assumed that the mass of water crashing against him is the same as his mass. Isn't this so and a very large and incorrect assumption?
Mass has nothing to do with it. It's just a question of understanding relative velocity. The swimmer can swim 5 feet/s with respect to the water. The water is moving 2 feet/s with respect to the land. Thus, if he swims directly against the current, the swimmer's speed is 5 - 2 = 3 feet/s with respect to the land.

In general (if you can catch on to my notation: a = swimmer; b = water; c = land):

[tex]\vec{V}_{a/c} = \vec{V}_{a/b} + \vec{V}_{b/c}[/tex]

oh i see now doc ai, the swimmer swims 5 feet wrt to the water! I understand now, I thought that 5 feet/s was with respect to the land! It didnt make sense of course.

However, (so sorry), I have one last question:

the speed of waves is supposed to be emitted independent of the speed of the source. (sound etc.) In the Michelson-Morley experiment, they thought that this was the case and the reason the light waves still caught up with them and the velocity of the Earth was because of the ether wind right?

Then is it true to say that the direction of the light emitted is dependent on the source since there is no such thing as the ether?

Oerg said:
the speed of waves is supposed to be emitted independent of the speed of the source. (sound etc.) In the Michelson-Morley experiment, they thought that this was the case and the reason the light waves still caught up with them and the velocity of the Earth was because of the ether wind right?
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, so I'll just rephrase what you probably already know. The idea was that light traveled through the ether, and since the Earth was rocketing along in its orbit, we should be able to detect some "ether wind" with respect to us. But we didn't.
Then is it true to say that the direction of the light emitted is dependent on the source since there is no such thing as the ether?
Again, I'm not sure of your reasoning, but it's certainly true that the apparent direction of a "ray" of light does depend on the frame doing the observing. To get more on this, look up "stellar aberration".

1. What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to another object. It is the difference in the velocities of the two objects, taking into account their direction and speed.

2. How is relative velocity calculated?

Relative velocity is calculated by subtracting the velocity of the second object from the velocity of the first object. This can be done using vector addition or subtracting the velocities of the two objects along the same axis.

3. What is the Michelson Morley experiment?

The Michelson Morley experiment was a scientific experiment conducted in the late 19th century to test the existence of the "ether", a hypothetical substance thought to be the medium through which light travels. The experiment involved measuring the speed of light in different directions to see if it varied depending on the direction of the Earth's motion through the ether.

4. What were the results of the Michelson Morley experiment?

The results of the Michelson Morley experiment showed that the speed of light remained constant in all directions, regardless of the Earth's motion through the ether. This was unexpected and led to the development of Einstein's theory of special relativity, which states that the speed of light is constant for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

5. How does the Michelson Morley experiment relate to the concept of relative velocity?

The Michelson Morley experiment is often cited as evidence for the concept of relative velocity, as it showed that the speed of light remains constant regardless of the observer's motion. This supports the idea that the laws of physics, including the speed of light, are the same for all observers and that relative velocity is a fundamental aspect of how we understand the universe.