Relative velocity equation in Atkins physical chemistry

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 5K views
mccoy1
Messages
116
Reaction score
0
Hi folks, can someone please point out how Atkin got the following relative velocity A-B equation: see attached file. It's in atkin pchem 9e page 834.
Thank you all.
 
Attachments
  • Atkin (1).jpg
    Atkin (1).jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 399
Chemistry news on Phys.org
mccoy1 said:
Hi folks, can someone please point out how Atkin got the following relative velocity A-B equation: see attached file. It's in atkin pchem 9e page 834.
Thank you all.

hi mccoy1! :smile:

vrel A-B is the component of vrel in the AB direction, ie vrelcosθ

by Pythagoras, cosθ = adj/hyp = √(d2 - a2)/d :wink:
 
tiny-tim said:
hi mccoy1! :smile:

vrel A-B is the component of vrel in the AB direction, ie vrelcosθ

by Pythagoras, cosθ = adj/hyp = √(d2 - a2)/d :wink:

Thank you very much Tiny-Tim. Yes that's what I got before. And if substitute the value of cos(theta) into vrel,A-B = vrel/cos(theta) equation, then you get
Vrel,A-B =vrel/cos(theta) = vrel[d2/(d2-a2)]1/2 , which is not the equation in the attached file or am I doing something wrong?
Thanks again.
 
hi mccoy1! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and a theta: θ :wink:)
mccoy1 said:
… then you get
Vrel,A-B =vrel/cos(theta) = vrel[d2/(d2-a2)]1/2 , which is not the equation in the attached file or am I doing something wrong?

oh yes, i didn't notice the book got it wrong! :redface:

the book is definitely wrong … it has cosθ > 1, which is impossible! :smile:
 
Thanks again.
As an aside, in 8e of the same book, the authors have multiplication instead of a division between cos(θ) and vrel (which I think is impossible!), what do you think of that as well? I can't believe that the authors got it wrong in both editions! However, what surprised me is that they end up getting correct collision cross-section using that equation.

Cheers for the symbol tips.
 
mccoy1 said:
As an aside, in 8e of the same book …
sorry, i don't have the book (i was going on your picture) :wink:
 
tiny-tim said:
mccoy1 said:
As an aside, in 8e of the same book …
sorry, i don't have the book (i was going on your picture) :wink:

Yes I know. I copied that image from Atkin 9e. I've also attached an image and a text copied from 8e.
Cheers.
 
Last edited:
no, i can't see what I'm supposed to be looking at :confused:

btw, it should be multiplication …
mccoy1 said:
… the authors have multiplication instead of a division between cos(θ) and vrel (which I think is impossible!) …

vrel is the whole vector, and vrelcosθ is the component :wink:
 
tiny-tim said:
no, i can't see what I'm supposed to be looking at :confused:

btw, it should be multiplication …vrel is the whole vector, and vrelcosθ is the component :wink:

Ok there's a section (almost 1/2 way down the page) where it says "Justification 22: The collision cross-section"

Anyway don't worry, I think the fact that you have figured out that it should be a multiplication is enough. You get correct equation if it's multiplication. The only trouble I've with that is vrel,A-Bcos(θ) is supposed to be scalar component of vrel,A-B along vrel. To me , it seems like vrelcos (θ ) is a scalar component of vrel along 'a' in the diagram.
I'm lost!

Edit: okay i think I'm wrong on the last bit. vrelcos (θ) is a scalar component of vrel on vrel,A-B, but the equation vrel,A-B=vrel*cos (θ) suggests that it's a vector .
 
Last edited:
mccoy1 said:
Ok there's a section (almost 1/2 way down the page) where it says "Justification 22: The collision cross-section"


ah, i see it now!

yes, that section is virtually word-for-word the same as the other one, except for the misprint of dividing instead of multiplying :wink:
The only trouble I've with that is vrel,A-Bcos(θ) is supposed to be scalar component of vrel,A-B along vrel. To me , it seems like vrelcos (θ ) is a scalar component of vrel along 'a' in the diagram.
I'm lost!

Edit: okay i think I'm wrong on the last bit. vrelcos (θ) is a scalar component of vrel on vrel,A-B, but the equation vrel,A-B suggests that it's a vector .

i think you're over-thinking this

the "real" vector is the actual relative velocity, vrel,

multiply by cosθ and you get a component (btw, no need to add "scalar") …

usually you would write v and vx, but instead of "x" the direction is called "AB", so it's written vAB …

and in this case it's confused by the fact that there are two different suffices, vrel,AB, with entirely different significances! :smile:
 
Thank you very much for your help. Yes you are right, that's a reckless claim actually because i need to say abs(vrel)cos(θ) for it to make sense as a scalar. I think i got it now though.
As for the suffices, vrel, A-B (with minus between A and B) is supposed to be velocity along the internuclear axis/line 'd') while vrelAB (no minus is a velocity at an angle θ to the internuclear axis)...as on the second diagram.
Cheers buddy...it seems there's no kudos button here...but still > kudos for you.
 
Last edited: