Relatively Prime Numbers proof

Therefore, a and a+b are relatively prime. In summary, if a and b are relatively prime, then a+b and b are also relatively prime, and vice versa. This can be proven by showing that if n is a common factor of a+b and b, then it must also be a common factor of a. This proves the equivalence of the three statements.
Black Orpheus
1. Suppose that a and b are positive integers. Show that the following are equivalent: 1) a and b are relatively prime 2) a+b and b are relatively prime 3) a and a+b are relatively prime.

2. I know that for a and b to be relatively prime, (a,b) = 1 (that is, their greatest common divisor is 1). Or, there exists an integer n such that if n divides a and n divides b, then n = +/-1.

3. I'm starting by assuming that a and b are relatively prime. My problem is I don't know how to go about showing a+b and b are relatively prime (if I know how to show that, then "a and a+b are relatively prime" follows). This must be proof by cases, but where might I begin?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: supppose n is a factor of (a+b) and b.

Then b = nx and a+b = ny for some integers x and y

What does that tell you about the factors of a?

The factors of a are n and y-x. This means that a, b, and a+b all have a common factor. Since a and b are relatively prime, the common factor must be 1.

1. What are relatively prime numbers?

Relatively prime numbers are two numbers that have no common factors or divisors other than 1. In other words, the greatest common divisor of two relatively prime numbers is 1.

2. How do you prove that two numbers are relatively prime?

The most common method of proving that two numbers are relatively prime is by using the Euclidean algorithm. This involves finding the greatest common divisor of the two numbers and if it is equal to 1, then the numbers are relatively prime.

3. Can two composite numbers be relatively prime?

Yes, two composite numbers can be relatively prime as long as they do not share any common factors other than 1. For example, 6 and 35 are relatively prime even though they are both composite numbers.

4. Is it possible for two prime numbers to not be relatively prime?

No, two prime numbers are always relatively prime because the only common factor they have is 1. This is because prime numbers are only divisible by 1 and themselves.

5. How is the proof of relatively prime numbers applied in mathematics?

The proof of relatively prime numbers is applied in many areas of mathematics, such as number theory, cryptography, and algebra. It is also used in algorithms for finding the greatest common divisor of two numbers and in the construction of rational numbers.