Relativistic Doppler Shift Theory Question?

In summary, the frequency shift observed by a rocket ship traveling at close to the speed of light and passing over a light source emitting photons perpendicular to its path is redshifted. This is due to the time dilation experienced by the moving observer, causing them to measure a longer time interval between wavelengths and thus a lower frequency. This may seem counterintuitive, but it is a result of the principles of relativity.
MissSilvy

Homework Statement

What sort of frequency shift does a rocket ship traveling along the x-axis as some speed close to c observe when it passes directly over a light source emitting photon on the y-axis (so when the angle between them is 90 degrees). At this angle, the rocket is neither approaching the source nor receding from it... is the photon redshifted, blueshifted, or unshifted in this case?

Homework Equations

f'/f = 1-[tex]\beta[/tex]cos([tex]\theta[/tex])/[tex]\sqrt{1-\beta}[/tex]2

The Attempt at a Solution

Intuitively, I guess that there would be no shift, since the photon is not moving on the same axis as the spaceship but the equation gives f'/f= 5/3 when I assume beta is 0.8, so the math suggests a redshift. I have a nagging feeling that this has something to do with the time-dilation experienced by the spaceship but I'm not exactly certain why. If anyone could explain why this phenomenon occurs, I'd be very grateful.

[This is a freshman honors mechanics course, so we've done Lorentz transformations, time dilation, and other stuff at a relatively low level.]

Physics news on Phys.org
MissSilvy said:

Homework Statement

What sort of frequency shift does a rocket ship traveling along the x-axis as some speed close to c observe when it passes directly over a light source emitting photon on the y-axis (so when the angle between them is 90 degrees). At this angle, the rocket is neither approaching the source nor receding from it... is the photon redshifted, blueshifted, or unshifted in this case?

Homework Equations

f'/f = 1-[tex]\beta[/tex]cos([tex]\theta[/tex])/[tex]\sqrt{1-\beta}[/tex]2

The Attempt at a Solution

Intuitively, I guess that there would be no shift, since the photon is not moving on the same axis as the spaceship but the equation gives f'/f= 5/3 when I assume beta is 0.8, so the math suggests a redshift. I have a nagging feeling that this has something to do with the time-dilation experienced by the spaceship but I'm not exactly certain why. If anyone could explain why this phenomenon occurs, I'd be very grateful.

[This is a freshman honors mechanics course, so we've done Lorentz transformations, time dilation, and other stuff at a relatively low level.]
If you understand time dilation then you will understand that relative to the source of the light, the moving observer measures time more slowly. So if there is a time interval T = 1/f between wavelengths of light at the source, the moving observer will measure that time as [itex]T' = \gamma T[/itex]. Consequently, the frequency [itex]f' = 1/\gamma T[/itex] measured by the moving observer will be less than f = 1/T, so it is red shifted.

AM

Oh that makes perfect sense! I forgot that frequency depends on time. Thank you very much!

Most interesting!
My thinking on the problem was that looking at light coming from ahead of the ship, you would see it blue shifted. Looking behind, light from back home would appear red shifted. So wouldn't it make sense that light coming from the sides would be half way between - not shifted either way?

Relativity never seems to make sense to me, so not surprising if it doesn't this time.

1. What is the Relativistic Doppler Shift Theory?

The Relativistic Doppler Shift Theory is a scientific principle that explains the change in frequency of light or sound waves due to the relative motion between the source and the observer. This theory takes into account the effects of special relativity, which states that the speed of light is constant regardless of the observer's motion.

2. How does the Relativistic Doppler Shift Theory differ from the Classical Doppler Effect?

The Classical Doppler Effect only considers the relative motion between the source and the observer, while the Relativistic Doppler Shift Theory also takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction, which are predicted by special relativity. These effects become significant when the source or observer is moving at speeds close to the speed of light.

3. What is the formula for calculating the Relativistic Doppler Shift?

The formula for calculating the Relativistic Doppler Shift is: fobs = fsource * √(1 ± v/c) / (1 ∓ v/c), where fobs is the observed frequency, fsource is the source frequency, v is the relative velocity between the source and observer, and c is the speed of light.

4. Can the Relativistic Doppler Shift Theory be applied to all types of waves?

Yes, the Relativistic Doppler Shift Theory can be applied to all types of waves, including electromagnetic waves (such as light) and mechanical waves (such as sound). It is a general principle that describes the change in frequency of waves due to relative motion.

5. How is the Relativistic Doppler Shift Theory used in practical applications?

The Relativistic Doppler Shift Theory is used in various practical applications, such as in astronomy to measure the speed and distance of celestial objects, in medical imaging to detect the movement of blood in the body, and in radar technology to measure the speed of moving objects. It is also used in GPS systems to accurately calculate the position of a receiver on Earth.