Relativistic energy and momentum question

In summary, the lambda particle decays into a proton and pion, and it is observed that the proton is left at rest. The energy of the pion is 140MeV/c^2, and the energy of the original lambda is 1116MeV/c^2.
doublemint
1. A lambda particle decays into a proton and pion and it is observed that the proton is left at rest.
a. what is the energy of the pion?
b. what is the energy of the original lambda? m of lambda = 1116MeV/c^2, m of proton = 938 MeV/c^2, and m of pion = 140 MeV/c^2

Homework Equations

Conservation of energy and momentum. E[tex]\lambda[/tex] = E [tex]\rho[/tex] + E[tex]\pi[/tex], P [tex]\lambda[/tex] = P[tex]\rho[/tex] + P[tex]\pi[/tex]
Lorentz Transformation

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried breaking down conservation of energy and momentum so solve for what i need but i can't seem to get it right. I've tried using lorentz transformation with the energy and momentum but no lucky either.
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The energy and momentum of the proton are straightforward to write down.

Use [itex]m^2 = E^2-p^2[/itex].

There's no need for a Lorentz transformation because you only have one frame in this problem.

You can save yourself a bit of algebra work if you know how to work with four-vectors.

So you mean m[tex]^{2}[/tex]c[tex]^{2}[/tex]=E[tex]^{2}[/tex] - p[tex]^{2}[/tex]c[tex]^{2}[/tex] ?
so,
E[tex]\lambda[/tex] = E[tex]\rho[/tex] + E[tex]\pi[/tex]
and since the proton is not moving, p = 0
the energy of the pion is,
E[tex]\pi[/tex] = E[tex]\lambda[/tex] - mc[tex]^{2}[/tex]

i don't know anything about doing work in 4 vectors...

for part b, what do i need to do to get the energy of the lambda particle? i have no values for velocity.

OK, so you have, so far, these relations:

[tex]E_\lambda = m_pc^2+E_\pi[/tex]
[tex]p_\lambda = p_\pi[/tex]

Multiply the second by c, square both equations, and then subtract the second from the first. Hopefully, you'll see where to go from there.

I see what you are doing! Thanks!
If i did it right, it simplifies to m[tex]_{\lambda}[/tex]c[tex]^{2}[/tex] = m[tex]_{\pi}[/tex]c[tex]^{2}[/tex] + m[tex]_{p}[/tex]c[tex]^{2}[/tex] = E of the original lambda
where E = 1078 MeV
but i think i did something wrong though

Last edited:
What happened to the cross term on the RHS? That's the one that'll allow you to solve for the energy of the pion. Also, the other terms should be of the form [itex](mc^2)^2[/itex], not just [itex]mc^2[/itex].

I found my mistake! I knew there was a problem with my answer.
So, from the energy of the pion which i got as 184.4MeV, I use that to solve for lambda which i got to be 1122MeV!
I hope that is right!

Thanks a bunch vela!

What is the concept of relativistic energy and momentum?

Relativistic energy and momentum is a concept within the theory of relativity that describes how the energy and momentum of an object change as it approaches the speed of light. It takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction on these values.

How does relativistic energy differ from classical energy?

In classical physics, energy is defined as the product of an object's mass and the square of its velocity. However, in relativistic physics, the energy of an object also takes into account its mass-energy equivalence, given by Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2. This means that the energy of an object increases significantly as it approaches the speed of light.

What is the formula for calculating relativistic energy?

The formula for calculating relativistic energy is E=γmc^2, where γ is the Lorentz factor, m is the mass of the object, and c is the speed of light. This formula takes into account both the object's rest mass and its kinetic energy.

How does relativistic momentum differ from classical momentum?

In classical physics, momentum is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity. However, in relativistic physics, momentum is defined as the product of an object's relativistic mass (which includes the effects of time dilation and length contraction) and its velocity. This means that the momentum of an object increases as it approaches the speed of light.

What is the relationship between relativistic energy and momentum?

In relativity, energy and momentum are closely related and are part of a larger concept known as four-momentum. This four-momentum vector describes an object's energy and momentum in both space and time. As an object's energy increases, so does its momentum, and vice versa.