Relativistic Jets from Supermassive Black Holes?

In summary, relativistic jets are highly energetic streams of particles that are emitted from supermassive black holes at the centers of active galaxies. These jets can extend for thousands of light years and reach velocities close to the speed of light. They are thought to be powered by the intense gravitational pull of the black hole, which accelerates particles to extreme speeds. The study of relativistic jets is important for understanding the role of supermassive black holes in the evolution of galaxies and the universe as a whole.
Islam Hassan
If nothing can escape black holes, how are relativistic jets of particles and radiation emitted from the supermassive variety of the same? Are they emitted from the BH proper or from something else?

IH

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Drakkith said:
See post number 13 in this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=223661

Thanx for the reference; so it remains something of a 'mystery'.

Perhaps one thing that can be said is that if the jets are not emitted from the BH proper -and classic BH theory would preclude that- they must be emitted from the accretion disk. I fail to see by what possible mechanism though.

It just seems impossible even to speculate as to how this may be achieved...

Faro

Discussion as to the possible ways of emission shouldn't be a problem. Inventing your own theory based on little to no evidence or understanding of astrophysics and other related areas would be a very big problem and would be against PF rules. As I like to put it, asking questions is fine. Proposing solutions isn't. Those are for papers and peer review.

The particles must almost assuredly come from the accretion disk initially, as they wouldn't be able to escape from beyond the event horizon. I believe that a similar problem with the jets from neutron stars exists as well. Perhaps they occur for the same reasons.

Drakkith said:
Discussion as to the possible ways of emission shouldn't be a problem. Inventing your own theory based on little to no evidence or understanding of astrophysics and other related areas would be a very big problem and would be against PF rules. As I like to put it, asking questions is fine. Proposing solutions isn't. Those are for papers and peer review.

The particles must almost assuredly come from the accretion disk initially, as they wouldn't be able to escape from beyond the event horizon. I believe that a similar problem with the jets from neutron stars exists as well. Perhaps they occur for the same reasons.

I wonder is there any evidence as to how the jet forms initially? Do we know for example whether the initial jet (presumably emitted from the accretion disk) is cylindrical or conic in shape? Do we have sufficient resolution in imaging to do this?

IH

Islam Hassan said:
I wonder is there any evidence as to how the jet forms initially? Do we know for example whether the initial jet (presumably emitted from the accretion disk) is cylindrical or conic in shape? Do we have sufficient resolution in imaging to do this?

IH

My understanding is that it is conical. And I'm not sure the beams are "emitted by the accretion disk", I think that the source of the particles is from the disk but they are believed to be accelerated by magnetic fields or something which results in the jets.

Indeed, the emission is often seen to be conical. A helical structure is often seen on large scales, though, for example in 3C 273 and S5 0835+710:

Anatomy of Helical Extragalactic Jets: The Case of S5 0836+710

I haven't sifted through too much of the literature on the structure of jets proper, but the helical structure is often thought to be due to some periodic process like possible precession of the source of the jet, which is assumed to be the accretion disk. The disk amplifies any magnetic field and twists and collimates the field along the axis of rotation.

The wiki article on relativistic jets, while short, mentions a couple of mechanisms, though is not an exhaustive review.

SpiffyKavu said:
The wiki article on relativistic jets, while short, mentions a couple of mechanisms, though is not an exhaustive review.

The wiki article say that " it is hypothesized that the jets are composed of an electrically neutral mixture of electrons, positrons, and protons in some proportion." If this is the case, can a relativistic jet be collimated by magnetic fields if it is electrically neutral?

Would it be easier to propose a mechanism if the jets were composed of radiation only without any massive particles?

Can we today somehow simulate a 'mini-accretion disk' in the laboratory?IH

Last edited:
Islam Hassan said:
If this is the case, can a relativistic jet be collimated by magnetic fields if it is electrically neutral?

The jet is neutral but the single particles are charged.

DrStupid said:
The jet is neutral but the single particles are charged.

But then one would expect to have two jets jutting out from opposite poles of a BH/accretion disk, one with positively charged particles and another with negatively charged particles. How then does one explain single-jet occurrences like in this pic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Onde-radioM87.jpg

IH

Islam Hassan said:
But then one would expect to have two jets jutting out from opposite poles of a BH/accretion disk, one with positively charged particles and another with negatively charged particles. How then does one explain single-jet occurrences like in this pic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Onde-radioM87.jpg

IH

Magnetic fields will deflect charged particles in the same direction in some cases. The technique is used in magnetic confinement for plasmas. I assume whatever is happening with the magnetic fields doesn't separate the particles from each other.

SpiffyKavu said:

Very interesting that the two proposed mechanisms in the wiki article both involve energy transfer from the BH to the jet.

What about mass-energy equivalence? Energy may escape from a BH but not mass? But then photons are massless and they cannot escape either...very confusing...

IH

Nothing is escaping the event horizon, the particles and energy observed orginate outside the event horizon.

1. What are relativistic jets from supermassive black holes?

Relativistic jets are narrow, high-velocity streams of particles that are ejected from the poles of supermassive black holes. These jets can travel at close to the speed of light and can extend for thousands of light-years.

2. How are relativistic jets formed?

Relativistic jets are formed when magnetic fields near the black hole's event horizon become twisted and accelerate particles along the black hole's axis of rotation. These particles are then ejected in a narrow jet by the intense gravitational pull of the black hole.

3. What role do supermassive black holes play in the formation of relativistic jets?

Supermassive black holes are the source of energy for relativistic jets. As matter falls into the black hole, it releases a tremendous amount of energy which is converted into the high-velocity jets that we observe. The size and strength of the black hole determine the characteristics of the jets.

4. How do relativistic jets affect their surroundings?

Relativistic jets can have a significant impact on their surroundings. They can heat up the surrounding gas and dust, causing it to glow brightly in different wavelengths of light. This can also trigger the formation of new stars and influence the evolution of galaxies.

5. What can we learn from studying relativistic jets from supermassive black holes?

Studying relativistic jets can provide insights into the physics of extreme environments, such as near black holes. They can also help us understand the impact of black holes on their surroundings and how they shape the evolution of galaxies. Additionally, studying these jets can also provide information about the properties of matter and energy in the universe.