Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativistic particle in a box

1. Nov 6, 2006 #1

I was wondering about the Shroedinger equation. I know about the "particle in a box" solution, but I was wondering what happens when the box is moving by at velocity v? And then as v approaches c? What does the equation look like?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2006 #2
    If it's moving relativistically, you would need a new prescription for studying things.

However, otherwise...

I would suggest that you try writing down the classical Lagrangian for such a system in a moving frame, and then come up with the Hamiltonian for such a system, and operatorize the Hamiltonian to get the new quantum Hamiltonian. It's an interesting exercise to see what happens to QM in a moving reference frame.
  4. Nov 6, 2006 #3
    Ok I will try that.
  5. Nov 6, 2006 #4
    You need to remember that the volume of the box changes with frame. So your particle density (which is [tex]|\psi|^2[/tex] in the SE but will need to be modified for a relativistic equation) should too...
  6. Nov 7, 2006 #5

Well, the Schrodinger Equation is not Lorentz invariant. While your question seems simple enough, I don't believe there is a consensus on how to correctly do it.
  7. Nov 7, 2006 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From the moment that your particle starts to have kinetic energies comparable to its rest energy, a single-particle quantum theory will not do anymore. You have to switch to, at your choice: a multi-particle theory, or a field theory. Happily, both are equivalent.
  8. Nov 7, 2006 #7
    This morning I did the free particle schroedinger equation using d'alembert's solution (x+vt, x-vt). I guess a particle in a box would be a standing wave solution with nodes at the edge of the box. No problem.

But in a moment of reckless whimsy, I set v=c and the equation still seemed to work. What's up with that?
  9. Nov 7, 2006 #8
    what would prevent one from solving the Dirac equation for a free electron subject to the constraint of the boundaries? (i have not actually tried this myself, maybe it could be done numerically with something like GAMESS?)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?