Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativistic QM though maybe more of a math question

1. Mar 19, 2006 #1
    Hi,

I'm a bit befuddled about something my lecturer wrote:

[tex]

S^{\dagger}\sigma_{\alpha}R_{{\alpha}\beta}B_{\beta}S=R_{{\alpha}\beta}B_{\beta}S^{\dagger}\sigma_{\alpha}S
    [/tex]

R is a 3x3 rotation matrix which transforms the magnetic field B between frames, sigma_alpha are the pauli matricies. S is a rotation matrix that acts on spin wave vectors

I don't understand wh one can simply move the RB term to the left. It seems to make sense since RB is a vector rotation and S sigma S is a spin rotation operator and so they should be written in this way but I just don't know why mathematically one can do that.

thanks

:confused: :confused:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2006 #2
    [itex]R_{\alpha\beta}B_{\beta}[/itex] are components of a vector, so just numbers, not operators or vectors themselves. The spin and Pauli operators are not operators on a Hilbert space, they're operators on a discrete, finite dimensional vector space, so they're just matrices. Therefore the vector [itex]R_{\alpha\beta}B_{\beta}[/itex] commutes with these matrices. In simple linear algebra, if A and B are matrices and a and b scalars, ABab=abAB. If one wanted to fiddle about with the ordering of the spin and Pauli matrices you'd have to use their commutation relations.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?