Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativistic quantum mechanics

1. Sep 9, 2007 #1
    What is the best book out there on relativistic quantum mechanics for someone who has a bachelor degree in physics and pursuing graduate study now?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2007 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mandel and Shaw's book is good along with Aitcheson and Hey, they are both more modern. A classic is Bjorken and Drell or Sakaurai (advanced QM).
  4. Sep 9, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In our university we use Frank Gross "relativistic quantum mechanics and field theory" (wileY). Check 'em out on amazon.
  5. Sep 9, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Check out the second part of F. Schwabl's "Advanced Quantum Mechanics", 3.ed., Springer, 2000 or the book by Greiner "Relativistic Quantum Mechanics: Wave equations", 3.ed, Springer.

If you want mathematical rigor, check B. Thaller's "The Dirac's equation".
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  6. Sep 11, 2007 #5
    Thank you for all the recommendations. I have decided to start with Mandel and Shaw's book... Will get it tomorrow in my post :) Cheers!
  7. Sep 11, 2007 #6
    There is an approach to relativistic quantum mechanics which (in my humble opinion) is superior to all others. It is based on Wigner's theory of unitary representations of the Poincare group. Occasionally, these ideas are mentioned in textbooks, but I haven't seen any good systematic exposition. If at some point you get frustrated with textbooks, try these original journal articles. You might like them:

E. P. Wigner, "On unitary representations of the inhomogeneous Lorentz group", Ann. Math. 40 (1939) 149.

P. A. M. Dirac, "Forms of relativistic dynamics", Rev. Mod. Phys. 21 (1949), 392

T. D. Newton and E. P. Wigner, "Localized states for elementary systems", Rev. Mod. Phys. 21 (1949), 400

B. Bakamjian and L. H. Thomas, "Relativistic particle dynamics. II", Phys. Rev. 92 (1953), 1300

L. L. Foldy, "Relativistic particle systems with interaction", Phys. Rev. 122 (1961), 275

D. G. Currie and T. F. Jordan and E. C. G. Sudarshan, "Relativistic invariance and
    Hamiltonian theories of interacting particles", Rev. Mod. Phys. 35 (1963), 350

B. D. Keister and W. N. Polyzou, "Relativistic Hamiltonian Dynamics in nuclear and particle
    physics", in Advances in Nuclear Physics vol. 20, edited by J. W. Negele and E. W. Vogt,
    (Plenum Press, 1991)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?