Reliable Starlink sight predictions?

• SpaceX
  • Thread starter greypilgrim
  • Start date
In summary, there are several websites that provide predictions for viewing low Earth orbit satellites such as Starlink. However, these predictions may not always be accurate due to the satellites actively changing their orbit. It is recommended to check multiple websites to get a more reliable estimate of when the satellites will be visible. Additionally, the brightness predictions may not always be accurate, so it is important to keep this in mind when trying to view these satellites.
greypilgrim
Hi.

I haven't been lucky once with the times on Find Starlink, despite trying about 10 times. However, last week I once saw a group by pure accident, and when I compared with that website it was about 20 min after the last predicted time.

Are there websites with more reliable predictions?

Physics news on Phys.org
They actively change their orbit, that makes tracking difficult.

If findstarlink.com, james.darpinian.com and heavens-above.com all agree on the predictions they are probably not too wrong, otherwise you can get at least a rough time range. The brightness predictions can be even worse than the time predictions, however. A prediction of magnitude 2.5 (easily visible from most places) can turn out to be 4.5 (really difficult to see from many places) or something like that.

1. How accurate are Starlink sight predictions?

The accuracy of Starlink sight predictions can vary depending on various factors such as atmospheric conditions and satellite positioning. However, on average, the predictions have been found to be accurate within a few minutes of the predicted time.

2. How often are Starlink sight predictions updated?

Starlink sight predictions are updated regularly, usually multiple times a day. The exact frequency of updates may vary depending on changes in satellite orbits and other factors.

3. Can I rely on Starlink sight predictions for planning observations?

While Starlink sight predictions are generally reliable, it is always recommended to have a backup plan in case of unexpected changes or inaccuracies. It is best to use the predictions as a guide and not rely solely on them for planning observations.

4. Are there any tools or resources available for tracking Starlink satellites?

Yes, there are several online tools and apps available for tracking Starlink satellites and predicting their visibility. Some popular options include Heavens-Above, Satflare, and the Starlink app by SpaceX.

5. How can I improve the accuracy of Starlink sight predictions?

To improve the accuracy of Starlink sight predictions, it is important to ensure that your location and time settings are accurate. Additionally, using a reliable tracking tool and regularly checking for updates can also help improve accuracy.