Remembering Special Function Equations....

• Thread starter bolbteppa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of remembering the Legendre, Hermite, Laguerre, Chebyshev, Hypergeometric, and Jacobi equations, which are all special functions of the form p(x)y'' + q(x)y' + r(x)y = 0. The participants express frustration with the need for brute force memorization and discuss possible solutions, such as using a reference book.
bolbteppa
I have an awful memory when it comes to factoids, I need to remember the Legendre, Hermite, Laguerre, Chebyshev, Hypergeometric & Jacobi equations, all of which are of the form [itex]p(x)y'' + q(x)y' + r(x)y = 0[/itex], where [itex]p[/itex] is a second degree polynomial, [itex]q[/itex] is a first degree polynomial & [itex]r[/itex] is a zero'th degree polynomial (interpreted as an eigenvalue).

Now, I can derive [itex]r(x)[/itex] by following Arfken's development & just substituting in a series solution & deriving what the eigenvalue should be.

Thus I'm left with finding out a way to remember the coefficients [itex]p(x)[/itex] & [itex]q(x)[/itex] for the Legendre, Hermite, Laguerre, Chebyshev, Hypergeometric & Jacobi equations. Is there any simple way to do this? Any unifying procedure or thought process?

Considering that this question could have been asked by including the [itex]r(x)[/itex] term, would you have recommended subbing in the series to derive the eigenvalue, or just told me to remember them all? :tongue:

I won't start asking about ways to remember things like Bessel's equation, Weber, Matthieu, Lame etc... as I feel that is a fruitless task, though any nice ideas or tips on these monstrosities would be greatly appreciated :cool:

Physics news on Phys.org
memorization of anything usually calls for brute force. Just write equations with labels and names and study it like you would a vocab list from middle school.

Hi bolbteppa !

I fully agree with you. Actually, the choice of the names of the special functions is not following any logical way. So, memorization is a matter of "brute force" (as said by X89codered89X). The good feeling of being able to rely on Handbooks of Special Functions !
I would like to quote a sentence (translated from French) :
<< Certainly, the habit is praiseworthy and is full of good intentions to give mathematicians' names to the functions. It marks the gratitude to these Great Men. It is a way of making them immortal, even more than to be Academicians ! (On the French very honorific sense of this name). But, in return, where is the logic of classification and hierarchical organization? Obviously, it can be made independently of the awarded names. But then, so much efforts of memory, so much time spent in researches more historic and patronymic than mathematics! ... >>
From the paper: "Safari in the Contry of Special Functions", page 28.
http://www.scribd.com/JJacquelin/documents

HEY bolbteppa !
I am undergraduate student in physics and wondering to get answer of same question. It's been 3 years so if you got answer to memorizing Special functions(especially Bassel function) so let me know,Please.

Hi Jimit !
Unfortunately, nothing change. Special functions remain a matter of brute force for the memory.
As it is written as a joke at the end of the paper quoted above : << When the
best-seller "Phylogenetic Classification of the Special Functions" will appear ? >> .
There is no indication that there is any light at the end of the tunnel.

Likes jim mcnamara
bolbteppa said:
I need to remember the Legendre, Hermite, Laguerre, Chebyshev, Hypergeometric & Jacobi equations

Why?

The only reason I could imagine needing to memorize all these equations is for a test. I can't imagine a subject where you'd need to know all these equations.
Even if there was, it's unreasonable for a professor to expect you to know all the equations for the common special function.

There are a number of useful references, like Abramowitz and Stegun, that you can use to look up special function. You're much better off buying one of these references and learning how to use it efficiently.

1. What are special function equations?

Special function equations are mathematical equations that represent specific mathematical functions that cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions, such as polynomials, logarithms, and trigonometric functions.

2. Why is it important to remember special function equations?

Special function equations are used in various fields of science and engineering to solve complex mathematical problems. Remembering these equations can help scientists and engineers to quickly and accurately solve these problems.

3. How can I remember special function equations more easily?

One way to remember special function equations is to understand their underlying patterns and properties. It may also be helpful to practice using these equations in different scenarios and to create visual aids or mnemonic devices to aid in memorization.

4. Are there any common mistakes or misconceptions when using special function equations?

One common mistake when using special function equations is forgetting to properly account for any necessary constants or transformations. It is also important to remember that these equations may have specific domains and restrictions.

5. Can special function equations be derived from other equations?

Yes, some special function equations can be derived from other equations, such as through series expansions or transformations. However, many special function equations are considered fundamental and cannot be derived from other equations.