Removing silver flake from steel wool

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of separating silver from steel wool in order to sell it. The suggested method is to dissolve the iron using hydrochloric acid, which should leave the silver behind. Alternatively, one could use sodium carbonate or bicarbonate to neutralize the solution and then filter out the silver. Another, more complicated method involves using mercury to create an amalgam and then boiling it to remove the silver. The cost effectiveness of each method is also considered.
Ikimasen
I have a practical question. I work in the radiography department of an industrial contractor and we've found some old recovery buckets used to recover the silver from old film fixer. Essentially you have a bucket of steel wool that the fixer (with silver precipitate) passes through, which traps the silver flakes in the fixer. Now I have what you might call a "bucket of crud" that is a mix of wet steel wool with silver flakes in it which, so far, no one wants to buy. How can I separate the silver from the steel wool without losing any silver so it can then be sold? (who cares about the steel wool.)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Dissolve the iron in hydrochloric acid. Concentrated is sometimes sold under the name of muriatic acid. Be careful - it is a nasty, corrosive stuff. Gloves and glasses are minimum, and you better add it outside, as it requires a good ventilation. Once diluted it is not that scary.

Work out your costs first.Is there enough silver to make this financially worthwhile?

Good point - but muriatic acid is quite cheap.

So the hydrochloric acid will destroy the iron but leave the silver behind, with nothing left to do but strain it out of the acid? It should be cost effective, though I could buy silver concentration test strips to make absolutely certain, but really there should be a pretty good amount of silver in there.

Ikimasen said:
So the hydrochloric acid will destroy the iron but leave the silver behind, with nothing left to do but strain it out of the acid?

Yes, filtering should do the trick. I would start neutralizing the solution, at least partially. For example with sodium carbonate or bicarbonate.

If the silver flakes are enough, in absolute sense and compared to the steel wool, another possibility is melting: silver melts at ~ 962°C while steel or iron oxides melts at much higher temperature.

If one has a lot of mercury and have a fume hood, it could also remove silver making an amalgam with Hg and then remove this by boiling. Quite complicated, however.

Is this 'find the most complicated way of silver separation' contest?

Borek said:
Is this 'find the most complicated way of silver separation' contest?
The first answerers are in advantage. The last have to say more complicated things :smile:

1. How do I remove silver flake from steel wool?

There are several methods for removing silver flake from steel wool. One method is to use a magnet to attract and remove the flakes. Another method is to use tweezers or a small brush to carefully pick out the flakes. You can also try using a strong adhesive tape to lift off the flakes.

2. Is it safe to remove silver flake from steel wool?

Yes, removing silver flake from steel wool is generally safe. However, it is important to use caution and protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, as some methods may involve sharp objects or chemicals. Make sure to properly dispose of any materials used in the process.

3. Can I reuse the steel wool after removing the silver flakes?

It is generally not recommended to reuse steel wool after removing silver flakes. The flakes can become embedded in the steel wool and may be difficult to remove, compromising its effectiveness. It is best to use a fresh piece of steel wool for each project.

4. How do I prevent silver flake from getting stuck in my steel wool?

To prevent silver flakes from getting stuck in your steel wool, you can try using a finer grade of steel wool, such as 000 or 0000. You can also use a lubricant, such as mineral oil, to help prevent the flakes from sticking. It is also important to properly clean and dry your steel wool after each use.

5. Can I remove silver flake from steel wool without damaging the steel?

Yes, it is possible to remove silver flakes from steel wool without damaging the steel. However, some methods, such as using a strong adhesive tape, may leave a residue on the steel wool. It is important to use caution and test a small area first before attempting to remove the flakes from the entire piece of steel wool.