1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Replacement for Campbell's Biology

1. Nov 8, 2009 #1
    I'm using Campbell's Biology*and I'm really sort of sick of it and wondering if there are better alternatives to it.

What do you guys think? Am I alone on this one?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2009 #2
    If you want to find an appropriate replacement, I'd recommend specifying what about the book you dislike. Do you want more mathematics? A more unified approach to biology? More emphasis on a certain topic?

4. Nov 8, 2009 #3
    I want a more unified approach to biology to help me understand the concepts, I feel Campbell is basically piling information upon information and forgetting the broad concepts of things that make Biology interesting. It goes from being an interesting field to a list of details and facts needed for regurgitation on exams.

I want to learn Biology, not learn a bunch of facts.

5. Nov 8, 2009 #4
    A good alternative to Campbell is "Life: The Science of biology", but Im afraid you will find it as full of information as Campbell. Both are very good at concepts, IMO. My personal preference leans toward "Life:...".

If you study biology by yourself perhaps a good way is to look in the curriculum offered by some universities for introductory biology courses and follow a similar path with your readings. Campbell is widely used so perhaps you can even find readings with page numbers on internet for some courses.

6. Nov 9, 2009 #5
    I think I have the same problem with Campbell. However, when I really get myself to read it, it is interesting, but time consuming. Once it gets time consuming it turns you off.

I have seen people use the book https://www.amazon.com/Biology-Life-Earth-Gerald-Audesirk/dp/0131005065 and like it. It has been recommended above. I found it alright.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook