Replacement for Campbell's Biology

• Thread starter Bassir
  • Start date
I'm using Campbell's Biology*and I'm really sort of sick of it and wondering if there are better alternatives to it.

What do you guys think? Am I alone on this one?

Answers and Replies

If you want to find an appropriate replacement, I'd recommend specifying what about the book you dislike. Do you want more mathematics? A more unified approach to biology? More emphasis on a certain topic?

I want a more unified approach to biology to help me understand the concepts, I feel Campbell is basically piling information upon information and forgetting the broad concepts of things that make Biology interesting. It goes from being an interesting field to a list of details and facts needed for regurgitation on exams.

I want to learn Biology, not learn a bunch of facts.

I want a more unified approach to biology to help me understand the concepts, I feel Campbell is basically piling information upon information and forgetting the broad concepts of things that make Biology interesting. It goes from being an interesting field to a list of details and facts needed for regurgitation on exams.

I want to learn Biology, not learn a bunch of facts.
A good alternative to Campbell is "Life: The Science of biology", but Im afraid you will find it as full of information as Campbell. Both are very good at concepts, IMO. My personal preference leans toward "Life:...".

If you study biology by yourself perhaps a good way is to look in the curriculum offered by some universities for introductory biology courses and follow a similar path with your readings. Campbell is widely used so perhaps you can even find readings with page numbers on internet for some courses.

Last edited by a moderator: