Report says war on terror is fueling al Qaeda

• News
  • Thread starter fourier jr
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, this think tank says that the "war on terror" is failing and instead fueling an increase in support for extremist Islamist movements. They say that the US-led invasion of Iraq was a "disastrous mistake" and that going to war with Iran would make matters worse.
fourier jr
This is extremely old news actually. I don't know where it was first published but people who know what's going on in the world (like Noam Chomsky) have been saying this for a few years now, probably since soon after Iraq got taken over. Apparently US intelligence services have written pretty much the same thing since then. Doesn't that make sense? If the US doesn't like terrorism, they should stop participating in it!

Report says war on terror is fueling al Qaeda

By Kate Kelland
Mon Oct 8, 8:29 AM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - Six years after the September 11 attacks in the United States, the "war on terror" is failing and instead fueling an increase in support for extremist Islamist movements, a British think-tank said on Monday.

A report by the Oxford Research Group (ORG) said a "fundamental re-think is required" if the global terrorist network is to be rendered ineffective.

"If the al Qaeda movement is to be countered, then the roots of its support must be understood and systematically undercut," said Paul Rogers, the report's author and professor of global peace studies at Bradford University in northern England.

"Combined with conventional policing and security measures, al Qaeda can be contained and minimized but this will require a change in policy at every level."

*snip*

He described the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq as a "disastrous mistake" which had helped establish a "most valued jihadist combat training zone" for al Qaeda supporters.

"Going to war with Iran," he said, "will make matters far worse, playing directly into the hands of extreme elements and adding greatly to the violence across the region. Whatever the problems with Iran, war should be avoided at all costs."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071008/ts_nm/britain_iraq_afghanistan_dc;_ylt=AoyKB8Lv7Di3hEW3MyzSQ5qs0NUE [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow! what a surprise! :cry:

I think Ivan can vouch for me here. I have been saying this since the day Bush started the war.

this is a clear example of two wrongs do not make one good. :frown:

Integral said:
Wow! what a surprise! :cry:

I think Ivan can vouch for me here. I have been saying this since the day Bush started the war.

Everthing has happened like an accident in slow motion, seen this coming from a mile away (six years ago).

No leadership, a rouge administration NOT elected twice, what do you expect?

1. What is the main argument of the report?

The main argument of the report is that the war on terror has unintentionally fueled the growth and strength of al Qaeda, rather than weakening or eliminating the terrorist group.

2. What evidence does the report provide to support this argument?

The report cites various examples of how the war on terror has inadvertently helped al Qaeda, such as contributing to the destabilization of certain countries and creating more support and sympathy for the group among certain populations.

3. How does the report suggest addressing this issue?

The report suggests shifting the focus from a military approach to addressing the underlying issues that contribute to the growth of al Qaeda, such as addressing political and economic grievances and promoting stability and development in affected regions.

4. What are the potential implications of the report's findings?

The report's findings have significant implications for the strategies and actions taken by governments and international organizations in the fight against terrorism. It suggests that a different approach may be necessary in order to effectively combat groups like al Qaeda.

5. Who conducted and funded this report?

The report was conducted by a team of researchers and experts at a non-profit organization, and was funded by various foundations and individual donors. It is not affiliated with any government or political group.