1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Represent Action of Stern Gerlach Operator as a Matrix

1. Jan 31, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given the series of three Stern-Gerlach devices:

2hnm34n.jpg

Represent the action of the last two SG devices as matrices ##\hat{A}## and ##\hat{B}## in the ##|+z\rangle, |-z\rangle## basis.

2. Relevant equations

##|+n\rangle = cos(\frac{\theta}{2})|+z\rangle + e^{i\phi}sin(\frac{\theta}{2})|-z\rangle##

3. The attempt at a solution

A Stern-Gerlach device with one beam blocked off can be represented as a projection of the incoming state onto the outgoing state. A projection operator can be written as the outer product of the selected basis state with itself, e.g. ##|+z\rangle\langle\,+\,z\,|## would be the projection operator for an SGz device with the minus size blocked.

The projection matrix of the first SGn is then:

##
    \hat{A}\rightarrow{|+n\rangle\langle\,+\,n\,|} =
    \begin{pmatrix}
    cos(\frac{\theta}{2}) \\
    e^{i\phi}sin(\frac{\theta}{2})
    \end{pmatrix}
    \begin{pmatrix}
    cos(\frac{\theta}{2}) & e^{-i\phi}sin(\frac{\theta}{2})
    \end{pmatrix} =
    \begin{pmatrix}
    cos^{2}(\frac{\theta}{2}) & e^{-i\phi}sin(\frac{\theta}{2})cos(\frac{\theta}{2}) \\
    e^{i\phi}sin(\frac{\theta}{2})cos(\frac{\theta}{2}) & sin^{2}(\frac{\theta}{2})
    \end{pmatrix}
    ##

Therefore, the beam coming out of the positive side of the SGn should be:

##
    |+n\rangle = \hat{A}|+z\rangle \rightarrow
    \begin{pmatrix}
    cos^{2}(\frac{\theta}{2}) & e^{-i\phi}sin(\frac{\theta}{2})cos(\frac{\theta}{2}) \\
    e^{i\phi}sin(\frac{\theta}{2})cos(\frac{\theta}{2}) & sin^{2}(\frac{\theta}{2})
    \end{pmatrix}
    \begin{pmatrix}
    1 \\
    \end{pmatrix} =
    \begin{pmatrix}
    cos^{2}(\frac{\theta}{2}) \\
    e^{i\phi}sin(\frac{\theta}{2})cos(\frac{\theta}{2})
    \end{pmatrix}
    ##

Should this be equal to the given ##|+n\rangle##?

I feel as though I'm missing something completely obvious or misunderstanding the question.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello and welcome to PF!
    Yes, the output of SGn should be |+n>, up to a normalization factor.

4. Jan 31, 2015 #3
    So would ##\frac{1}{cos(\frac{\theta}{2})}## make for a suitable normalization factor? Is there a more formal way of determining this normalization factor?

5. Jan 31, 2015 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes
    Not that I can think of at the moment. The usual way to find the normalization factor for a state |ψ>is to just look at <ψ|ψ>. But, in your example, you can spot the normalization factor by inspection.

6. Jan 31, 2015 #5
    Thanks for you help. I still don't see how ##\langle\,+\,n\,|+n\rangle## would give me the normalization factor though. I'm getting ##cos^{2}(\frac{\theta}{2}) + sin^{2}(\frac{\theta}{2}) = 1## which is what is expected.

7. Jan 31, 2015 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Let |ψ> be the output of GSn.

8. Jan 31, 2015 #7
    Ahh I see and I set this equal to 1. Thank you for your help!

9. Jan 31, 2015 #8
    This didn't work. I got a factor of ##\frac{1}{cos^{2}(\frac{\theta}{2})}## when evaluating ##\langle\psi|\psi\rangle## with ##|\psi\rangle## being the output of SGn.

##
    \begin{pmatrix}
    cos^{2}(\frac{\theta}{2}) &
    e^{-i\phi}sin(\frac{\theta}{2})cos(\frac{\theta}{2})
    \end{pmatrix}
    \begin{pmatrix}
    cos^{2}(\frac{\theta}{2}) \\
    e^{i\phi}sin(\frac{\theta}{2})cos(\frac{\theta}{2})
    \end{pmatrix} =
    cos^{2}(\frac{\theta}{2})[cos^{2}(\frac{\theta}{2}) + sin^{2}(\frac{\theta}{2})] = cos^{2}(\frac{\theta}{2})
    ##

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  10. Jan 31, 2015 #9

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The normalization factor gets applied to both occurences of ψ, so you need the square root of ##\langle\psi|\psi\rangle## as normalization factor.

11. Feb 1, 2015 #10
    Thank you. How does this then relate back to the matrix representation? Would it just be ##\frac{1}{cos(\frac{\theta}{2})}\begin{pmatrix}cos^{2}(\frac{\theta}{2}) & e^{-i\phi}sin(\frac{\theta}{2})cos(\frac{\theta}{2}) \\ e^{i\phi}sin(\frac{\theta}{2})cos(\frac{\theta}{2}) & sin^{2}(\frac{\theta}{2})\end{pmatrix}##

12. Feb 1, 2015 #11

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I don't think it makes sense to normalize the matrix. The norm smaller than 1 indicates that some particles get lost, which has a physical meaning.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted