Representation of linear operator using series ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the representation of a linear operator using a series, specifically the Taylor series expansion for e^{-i\mathbf{H}\epsilon}. This is a first order approximation of the operator U(t) and can be related to the time evolution of a state with a definite energy. Further understanding can be gained from watching relevant video lectures.
V0ODO0CH1LD
representation of linear operator using "series"?

I was looking into the progression of quantum states with respect to time. From what I understood the progression of a state ## \left|\psi(t)\right> ## is given by:
$$ \left|\psi(t)\right> = U(t)\left|\psi(0)\right> $$
I'm not sure if that's right. But it's okay if I haven't got that yet.. That was just to give some context to my actual question.

What is this representation of the linear operator ## U(t) ## at ## t = \epsilon ##, where ## \epsilon ## is an infinitesimal?
$$ U(\epsilon) = I - i\epsilon H $$
Where ## i ## is the imaginary unit, ## I ## is the identity matrix and I think ## H ## is the hamiltonian.
It also apparently has more terms of order ## \epsilon^2 ## and so on. What "series" is this? Is it some first order approximation of ## U(t) ##? What should I look into to understand where those terms are coming from?

Physics news on Phys.org
V0ODO0CH1LD said:
I was looking into the progression of quantum states with respect to time. From what I understood the progression of a state ## \left|\psi(t)\right> ## is given by:
$$ \left|\psi(t)\right> = U(t)\left|\psi(0)\right> $$
I'm not sure if that's right.
It's right.

V0ODO0CH1LD said:
What is this representation of the linear operator ## U(t) ## at ## t = \epsilon ##, where ## \epsilon ## is an infinitesimal?
$$ U(\epsilon) = I - i\epsilon H $$
Where ## i ## is the imaginary unit, ## I ## is the identity matrix and I think ## H ## is the hamiltonian.
It also apparently has more terms of order ## \epsilon^2 ## and so on. What "series" is this? Is it some first order approximation of ## U(t) ##? What should I look into to understand where those terms are coming from?

Those are the first two terms of the Taylor series expansion for [itex]e^{-i\mathbf{H}\epsilon}[/itex]. It just so happens that [itex]U(t) = e^{-i\mathbf{H}t/\hbar}[/itex]. This can be related to the idea that [itex]E = \hbar \omega \rightarrow \omega = E/\hbar[/itex]. A state [itex]\mid n\rangle[/itex] with definite energy [itex]E_n[/itex] has the following time evolution.
[itex]\mid n(t)\rangle = e^{-i\omega t}\mid n(0)\rangle = e^{-iE_n t/\hbar}\mid n(0)\rangle [/itex]

A function of an operator like [itex]e^{-i\mathbf{H}t/\hbar}[/itex] has the same eigenvectors as the operator, but the eigenvalues are replaced with the corresponding function of the eigenvalues.

Here are some relevant video lectures:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVbB6wFNqYc&list=PL9LRV0x7N1NCpd-ZerPxiTzm97y9VGPLp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31XrxGMRwtw&list=PL9LRV0x7N1NCpd-ZerPxiTzm97y9VGPLp

1. What is a linear operator?

A linear operator is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another in a way that preserves the operations of vector addition and scalar multiplication.

2. What is a series representation of a linear operator?

A series representation of a linear operator is an infinite sum of terms that represent the action of the operator on a vector. It is used to approximate the operator and can be used to solve certain mathematical problems.

3. How is a linear operator represented using a series?

A linear operator can be represented using a series by expanding the operator into a power series or a Fourier series. The coefficients of the series can then be used to approximate the operator.

4. What are the benefits of representing a linear operator using a series?

One benefit is that it allows for the approximation of a complex operator, making it easier to solve mathematical problems. It also allows for the use of numerical methods to evaluate the series and obtain more accurate results.

5. Are there any limitations to representing a linear operator using a series?

Yes, there are limitations. The accuracy of the series representation depends on the convergence of the series, which may not always be guaranteed. Also, the series may only be applicable for certain types of operators and may not work for all types of mathematical problems.