Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Representation of spin matrices

1. Aug 12, 2015 #1
    I have just started to study quantum mechanics, so I have some doubts.

1) if I consider the base given by the eigenstates of s_z [tex]s_z | \pm >=\pm \frac{\hbar}{2} |\pm>[/tex] the spin operators are represented by the matrices

[tex]s_x= \frac {\hbar}{2} (|+><-|+|-><+|)[/tex]
    [tex]s_y= i \frac {\hbar}{2}(|-><+|-|+><-|)[/tex]
    [tex]s_z=\frac{\hbar}{2}(|+><+|-|-><-|)[/tex]

but I don't have clear idea of what they correspond to concretely. Considering the Dirac formalism, can they be represented by Pauli's matrices?

[tex]s_x=\frac {\hbar}{2} \sigma_x; s_y= i \frac {\hbar}{2} \sigma_y; s_z=\frac {\hbar}{2} \sigma_z[/tex]

2) I can write a vector using its components, e.g. v=(a,b)
    but which are the components of the eigenstates of s_z?

3) If I have a state such as [tex]s_x |\phi>=\frac {\hbar}{2} |\phi> [/tex]
    and I want to write it using the base of the eigenstates of s_z,
    can I write [tex] |\phi>=a|+>+b|->[/tex], with [tex]|a|^2+|b|^2=1?[/tex] (I need this condition to have a normalized vector)
    Is it equal to [tex]\frac {e^{i\theta}}{\sqrt 2}(|+>+|->)?[/tex]

Many thanks for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.

Yes, if you use the representation of the spin operators in terms of Pauli matrices.

Yes, what you quoted here was a general spin state. You need to fix a and b so that it is actually an eigenvector of s_x.

... Which you did here. The exponential is an arbitrary phase factor and can be dropped.

4. Aug 13, 2015 #3
    Thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook