1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Representation of units with abbreviations

1. Jul 16, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I just now came to the realization that I don't know the standard for representing units. When do I include "." after the abbreviation and when do I not? Thanks.

For example
    mi. or mi
    m or m.
    yr. or yr

What's the rule? I'm sure there's got to be some general rule to apply to all units instead of memorizing weather or not to use it or not for each unit.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2011 #2
    Abbreviations for metric units don't end in periods, but abbreviations for everything else, except those with "per," (such as mph) do.
    Who knows why...

4. Jul 16, 2011 #3
    hm thanks... one last question about units

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  5. Jul 16, 2011 #4
    What's the convention for units on graphs like if you wanted to include units on a axis?
    I remember in elementary school they always told us
    Time (m)
    would it be improper to just do
    Time m
    without putting the units in "()"?

6. Jul 16, 2011 #5
    Well I'm not absolutely sure on this one. But I think it is convention to put the units in parentheses...it's a sort of side note, so it should be in parentheses. It would look wrong to have it without.

7. Jul 17, 2011 #6
    Wow. new thing to learn.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook