Question About Beginner Static Problems

In summary, the conversation discusses converting units when calculating unit vectors and simplifying calculations to avoid messy numbers. It is suggested to label calculations with correct units and use the static equilibrium equations ∑F = 0 and ∑τ = 0.
lc99

Homework Statement

upload_2018-5-2_18-19-15.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I noticed that the units are in mm and i usually would convert to meters for the convention. But, is it okay to leave the mm as is when i calculate the unit vectors since the unit vectors are unitless? I don't want to deal withd decimals in my calculations.

in general, do i ever need to convert my units?

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-2_18-19-15.png
    upload_2018-5-2_18-19-15.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 717
Physics news on Phys.org
Also the calculations get realllly mess real quick. How can i simplify things so that i don't get messy numbers all over the place? I keep finding myself getting the wrong answer because of the mess in numbers.

Don't worry about the units, Just keep track of them by labeling all of your calculations with the correct units. Statics problems are all based on ∑F = 0 and ∑τ = 0. Since F and τ are both vectors the static equilibrium equations represent 6 equations, some of which may not be needed in a particular problem. So set ∑F(x) = 0, ∑F(y) = 0, ∑F(z) = 0, ∑τ(x) = 0, ∑τ(y) = 0, ∑τ(z) = 0. Noting that τ = r x F.

Likes lc99

1. What are static problems?

Static problems refer to situations where objects are not moving or accelerating, and the forces acting on them are balanced. This can also be referred to as a state of equilibrium.

2. What are some common beginner static problems?

Some common beginner static problems include finding the net force acting on an object, determining the direction of the net force, and calculating the normal force and tension in a system.

3. How do I approach solving a static problem?

To solve a static problem, you must first identify all the forces acting on the object and their directions. Then, use Newton's laws of motion to set up equations and solve for the unknown variables. It is important to draw a free-body diagram to visualize the problem and make it easier to identify all the forces.

4. What equations should I use to solve static problems?

The most commonly used equations for solving static problems are Newton's Second Law (F=ma), Newton's Third Law (for equal and opposite forces), and the equations for calculating the normal force and tension in a system.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving static problems?

One common mistake is forgetting to include all the forces acting on the object. It is important to consider all forces, including weight, friction, and applied forces. Another mistake is using the wrong sign for a force, which can lead to incorrect solutions. It is also important to double-check your calculations and ensure units are consistent throughout the problem.