Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Representations and change of basis

1. Feb 22, 2010 #1
    Hi guys

1) We are looking at a Hamiltonian H. I make a rotation in Hilbert space by the transformation

[tex]

{\cal H} = \mathbf a^\dagger\mathsf H \mathbf a =
    \mathbf a^\dagger \mathsf U\mathsf U^\dagger\mathsf H \mathsf U\mathsf U^\dagger\mathbf a = \mathbf b^\dagger \mathsf D \mathbf b

[/tex]

where D is diagonal.

Now, is there a difference between a rotation of this kind and the transformation I perform when I go to momentum-representation?

2) When I want to write my second quantization operators in momentum-space, I write them as

[tex]
    a(\mathbf k) = \sum_\nu <\mathbf k | \psi_\nu>a_\nu.
    [/tex]

In my book they write this as

[tex]
    a(\mathbf r) = \sum_{\mathbf k}{e^{i\mathbf k\cdot r}} a(\mathbf k).
    [/tex]

How do I show this rigorously?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2010 #2
    The two situations are identical.
    Consider a unitary matrix, [tex]U_{ij}[/tex]
    Definition of unitary is that [tex]\sum_k U_{ik}U^*_{jk}=\delta_{ij}[/tex]
    Unitary transformation of a vector is [tex]a_i = \sum_j U_{ij}a'_j[/tex]
    Now change the notation a bit, so instead of writing [tex]U_{ij}[/tex] we write [tex]U(r,k)[/tex]

Consider a unitary matrix, [tex]U(r,k)[/tex]
    Definition of unitary is that [tex]\sum_q U(r,q)U^*(r',q)=\delta(r,r')[/tex]
    Unitary transformation of a vector is [tex]a(r) = \sum_k U(r,k)\tilde a(k)[/tex]
    You can check that, with the appropriate normalisations (I think its 1/sqrt(N)), the 'Fourier transform matrix', [tex]U(r,k) \propto e^{ikr}[/tex] works. You can think of fourier transformation as a big square matrix where position labels the columns, and momentum labels the rows. It is a change of basis, like any unitary transformation.

This procedure, however, will only diagonalise translationally invariant Hamiltonians.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook