Second Quantized Minimal Basis Hamiltonian of H2

In summary, the molecular Hamiltonian for ##\text{H}_\text{2}## in minimal basis only includes terms that involve spin orbitals of the same type, either both ##\varphi_g## or both ##\varphi_u##, due to their orthogonality.
Physics Learner
Hi,
I am really new in understanding second quantization formalism. Recently I am reading this journal:
https://dash.harvard.edu/bitstream/...ectronic_Structure.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

In brief, the molecular Hamiltonian is written as
$$\mathcal{H}=\sum_{ij} h_{ij} a^{\dagger}_i a_j +\frac{1}{2} \sum_{ijkl} h_{ijkl} a^{\dagger}_i a^{\dagger}_ja_la_k$$
where, $$h_{ij}=\int{d\mathbf{x}}\,\chi^*_i(\mathbf{x})\left(-\frac{1}{2}\nabla^2-\sum_{a}{\frac{Z_a}{\mathbf{r}_{a,\mathbf{x}}}}\right)\chi_j(\mathbf{x})$$
and $$h_{ijkl}=\int{d\mathbf{x_1}\,d\mathbf{x_2}}\,\chi^*_i(\mathbf{x_1})\chi^*_j(\mathbf{x_2})r_{1,2}^{-1}\chi_k(\mathbf{x_1})\chi_l(\mathbf{x_2})$$

For ##\text{H}_\text{2}##, in minimal basis, there are four spin-orbitals: $$\chi_1 = c_1\left(\phi_1+\phi_2\right)\alpha$$ $$\chi_2 = c_1\left(\phi_1+\phi_2\right)\beta$$ $$\chi_3 = c_2\left(\phi_1-\phi_2\right)\alpha$$ $$\chi_4 = c_2\left(\phi_1-\phi_2\right)\beta$$
where, ##\phi_{1,2}## are 1s orbitals of a single Hydrogen atom and ##\alpha## and ##\beta## are spin functions satisfying 'orthogonality' conditions, i.e., $$\int{d\omega}\,\alpha^*\alpha = \int{d\omega}\,\beta^*\beta = 1$$ and $$\int{d\omega}\,\beta^*\alpha = \int{d\omega}\,\alpha^*\beta = 0$$

What I am not getting is why some terms in the Hamiltonian (Eq. 14 and Eq. 16) are not there when we write it down explicitly? To be more specific, I understand that ##h_{12} = h_{14} = 0 ## because of their spin orthogonality, but I am curious to know why terms with ##h_{13}##, ##h_{24}## etc. are missing.

Similarly, I do not understand why terms like ##h_{1223}##, ##h_{1224}## are missing. I understand that terms like ##h_{1232} = h_{1242} = 0## because of their spin orthogonality.

Can anyone please explain? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Physics Learner said:
For ##\text{H}_\text{2}##, in minimal basis, there are four spin-orbitals: $$\chi_1 = c_1\left(\phi_1+\phi_2\right)\alpha$$ $$\chi_2 = c_1\left(\phi_1+\phi_2\right)\beta$$ $$\chi_3 = c_2\left(\phi_1-\phi_2\right)\alpha$$ $$\chi_4 = c_2\left(\phi_1-\phi_2\right)\beta$$
It will be clearer if you write it as
$$\chi_1 = c_1 \varphi_g \alpha$$ $$\chi_2 = c_1 \varphi_g \beta$$ $$\chi_3 = c_2\varphi_u\alpha$$ $$\chi_4 = c_2\varphi_u\beta$$

Physics Learner said:
What I am not getting is why some terms in the Hamiltonian (Eq. 14 and Eq. 16) are not there when we write it down explicitly? To be more specific, I understand that ##h_{12} = h_{14} = 0 ## because of their spin orthogonality, but I am curious to know why terms with ##h_{13}##, ##h_{24}## etc. are missing.

Similarly, I do not understand why terms like ##h_{1223}##, ##h_{1224}## are missing. I understand that terms like ##h_{1232} = h_{1242} = 0## because of their spin orthogonality.
##\varphi_g## is orthogonal to ##\varphi_u##, so ##h_{13} = 0## since ##\chi_1## involves ##\varphi_g## and ##\chi_3## involves ##\varphi_u##, and so on.

1. What is the Second Quantized Minimal Basis Hamiltonian of H2?

The Second Quantized Minimal Basis Hamiltonian of H2 is a mathematical representation of the energy of a hydrogen molecule (H2) in its ground state. It takes into account the electronic structure and interactions between the two hydrogen atoms in the molecule.

2. How is the Second Quantized Minimal Basis Hamiltonian of H2 different from other representations of the H2 molecule?

The Second Quantized Minimal Basis Hamiltonian of H2 is different from other representations because it uses a quantum mechanical approach, specifically the second quantization method, to describe the molecule's energy. This allows for a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of the molecule's behavior and properties.

3. What is the significance of using a minimal basis in the Second Quantized Minimal Basis Hamiltonian of H2?

The minimal basis in the Second Quantized Minimal Basis Hamiltonian of H2 refers to the use of a small number of basis functions to describe the electronic structure of the molecule. This approach simplifies the calculations and allows for a more efficient and accurate representation of the molecule's energy.

4. How is the Second Quantized Minimal Basis Hamiltonian of H2 used in research and practical applications?

The Second Quantized Minimal Basis Hamiltonian of H2 is used in various research fields, such as quantum chemistry and materials science, to study the properties and behavior of hydrogen molecules. It is also used in practical applications, such as in the development of new materials and in the design of chemical reactions.

5. Are there any limitations to the Second Quantized Minimal Basis Hamiltonian of H2?

Like any mathematical model, the Second Quantized Minimal Basis Hamiltonian of H2 has its limitations. It assumes that the electrons in the molecule are in a well-defined state, which may not always be the case. It also does not take into account the effects of relativity and nuclear motion, which can be significant in certain situations.