How to Find the Berry Phase in Slowly Varying Systems

In summary, they suggest a trial solution with eigenstates ##|\mathbf{R}(t)| = e^{i\gamma_n(t)} e^{-i\phi_n(t)} |n(\mathbf{R}(t))\rangle## and solve for ##\gamma_n##.
ergospherical
I was trying to follow this page:
https://phyx.readthedocs.io/en/latest/TI/Lecture notes/2.html

With ##|n(\mathbf{R})\rangle## being the eigenstates of ##H|\mathbf{R} \rangle## of eigenvalue ##E_n(\mathbf{R})##, the task is to solve the Schroedinger equation ##i | \dot{\psi}(t) \rangle = H(\mathbf{R}(t)) |\psi(t)\rangle## when the parameter vector ##\mathbf{R}(t)## varies slowly with time. They suggest the trial solution\begin{align*}
|\psi(t)\rangle = e^{i\gamma_n(t)} e^{-i\phi_n(t)} |n(\mathbf{R}(t))\rangle
\end{align*}with ##\phi_n(t) = \displaystyle{\int}_{0}^t E_n(\mathbf{R}(t')) dt'##. I obtain (omitting functional dependencies for clarity)\begin{align*}
|\dot{\psi}\rangle &= e^{i\gamma_n } e^{-i\phi_n}(i\dot{\gamma}_n |n\rangle - i \dot{\phi}_n |n\rangle+ |\dot{n}\rangle ) \\
&= e^{i\gamma_n} e^{-i\phi_n }(i\dot{\gamma}_n |n\rangle - i E_n |n\rangle+ |\dot{n}\rangle )
\end{align*}so putting ##|\dot{\psi}\rangle = -iH |\psi \rangle = -iE_n e^{i\gamma} e^{-i\phi} |n\rangle## gives\begin{align*}
|\dot{n}\rangle = -i\dot{\gamma}_n |n\rangle
\end{align*}which looks like what they got. Now I'm trying to figure out how they solved for ##\gamma_n##, viz:\begin{align*}
\gamma_n(\mathcal{C}) = \int_{\mathcal{C}} i \langle n(\mathbf{R}) | \nabla_{\mathbf{R}} n(\mathbf{R}) \rangle d\mathbf{R} \ \ \ (\dagger)
\end{align*}I assume that ##\mathcal{C}## is a path in ##\mathbf{R}##-space, parameterised by time ##t##? In other words,\begin{align*}
i\gamma_n(t) &= -\int_0^t \langle n(\mathbf{R}(t') | \nabla_{\mathbf{R}(t')} n(\mathbf{R}(t')) \rangle \dot{\mathbf{R}}(t') dt' \\
i\dot{\gamma}_n(t) &= - \langle n(\mathbf{R}(t) | \nabla_{\mathbf{R}(t)} n(\mathbf{R}(t)) \rangle \dot{\mathbf{R}}(t)
\end{align*}From here (again omitting functional depencies for clarity), I'm not totally sure how to show that ##i\dot{\gamma}_n |n \rangle = -|\dot{n}\rangle##, so that ##(\dagger)## is indeed a solution of the differential equation. I had the idea to re-write\begin{align*}
| \nabla_{\mathbf{R}} n \rangle \dot{\mathbf{R}} = |\dot{n} \rangle
\end{align*}so that\begin{align*}
i\dot{\gamma}_n |n \rangle &= - \langle n |\dot{n} \rangle | n \rangle = -| n \rangle \langle n |\dot{n} \rangle
\end{align*}but the RHS doesn't look quite like ##|\dot{n}\rangle##, since the identity operator is rather a sum ##\displaystyle{\sum_n} | n \rangle \langle n |## over ##n##. Where did I go wrong?

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
So you've got $$|\dot{n}\rangle = -i\dot{\gamma}_n |n\rangle ,$$ which as you've correctly pointed out can be re-written as
$$\nabla_{\mathbf{R}} | n \rangle \cdot \dot{\mathbf{R}} = -i\dot{\gamma}_n |n\rangle, $$ now apply ##\langle n |## to both sides and you get $$\langle n |\nabla_{\mathbf{R}} | n \rangle \cdot \dot{\mathbf{R}} = -i\dot{\gamma}_n, $$ then just take the integral.

Likes vanhees71 and ergospherical
Got it, thanks! I hadn't realized that the eigenstates ##|n\rangle## are normalised :)

1. What is the Berry phase in slowly varying systems?

The Berry phase is a geometric phase that arises in quantum systems as a result of the adiabatic evolution of a system's parameters. It is a manifestation of the nontrivial topology of the system's wave function and can have important consequences for the behavior of the system.

2. How do you calculate the Berry phase in slowly varying systems?

The Berry phase can be calculated using the Berry connection, which is a mathematical quantity that describes the evolution of the system's wave function as the parameters of the system vary. The Berry phase is then given by the integral of the Berry connection over the parameter space.

3. What is the significance of the Berry phase in slowly varying systems?

The Berry phase has important physical consequences, such as influencing the behavior of particles in an electromagnetic field and playing a role in the topological properties of materials. It also has applications in quantum computing and quantum information processing.

4. How does the Berry phase differ from other geometric phases?

The Berry phase is a specific type of geometric phase that arises in adiabatic systems, where the parameters of the system change slowly enough for the system to remain in its ground state. Other types of geometric phases, such as the Pancharatnam phase, can arise in non-adiabatic systems.

5. Can the Berry phase be experimentally observed?

Yes, the Berry phase has been experimentally observed in various systems, including atomic and molecular systems, condensed matter systems, and even in optical systems. It can be measured using techniques such as interferometry and quantum state tomography.