1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Representing instantaneous velocity vs time on a graph

1. Sep 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to draw an instantaneous velocity vs time graph of an object moving at a constant velocity, provide an equation, and explain what it all means. I know that instantaneous velocity is typically shown as dx/dt (the derivative of change in position with respect to time and I know the unit of measurement would be meters/seconds) However, because it says to show velocity, I feel like I need to represent the displacement in terms of v instead of x yet in going online to see how it's shown, it had looked like v was the typical variable used. I also have to draw one for position vs time (average velocity) so I'm not sure the best to show it for the instantaeous velocity graph as I know velocity is typically shown when representing acceleration. Any input would be appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2012 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You might be over thinking the problem. The question says..

How do you show

y(t)=constant

on a graph of y vs t?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook