• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Representing instantaneous velocity vs time on a graph

• Thread starter Violagirl
  • Start date

Homework Statement

I need to draw an instantaneous velocity vs time graph of an object moving at a constant velocity, provide an equation, and explain what it all means. I know that instantaneous velocity is typically shown as dx/dt (the derivative of change in position with respect to time and I know the unit of measurement would be meters/seconds) However, because it says to show velocity, I feel like I need to represent the displacement in terms of v instead of x yet in going online to see how it's shown, it had looked like v was the typical variable used. I also have to draw one for position vs time (average velocity) so I'm not sure the best to show it for the instantaeous velocity graph as I know velocity is typically shown when representing acceleration. Any input would be appreciated!

Answers and Replies

CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I need to draw an instantaneous velocity vs time graph of an object moving at a constant velocity, provide an equation, and explain what it all means. I know that instantaneous velocity is typically shown as dx/dt (the derivative of change in position with respect to time and I know the unit of measurement would be meters/seconds) However, because it says to show velocity, I feel like I need to represent the displacement in terms of v instead of x
You might be over thinking the problem. The question says..

I need to draw an instantaneous velocity vs time graph of an object moving at a constant velocity
How do you show

y(t)=constant

on a graph of y vs t?