Request for a new History of Science subforum

  • Thread starter Thread starter pines-demon
  • Start date Start date

Would you like a history of science forum?


  • Total voters
    10
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
44 replies · 7K views
Frabjous said:
The music threads are overwhelming the forum. There are so many posts that other topics get lost.
Split off music as a GD subforum?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Split off music as a GD subforum?
Yes, please.
 
pines-demon said:
Maybe the subforum should be in the "art, music, history, literature" forum instead of the general discussion forum.
I disagree. It should be in the same forum as tv and movies (general discussions).

“Music” should probably be removed from the “art, music, history and linguistics” title.
 
  • Agree
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and Greg Bernhardt
Frabjous said:
“Music” should probably be removed from the “art, music, history and linguistics” title.
That works for me.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and Greg Bernhardt
Maybe the title should be
Art, History (General and Science), and Linguistics
 
Frabjous said:
Maybe the title should be
Art, History (General and Science), and Linguistics
I am ok both ways.
 
dextercioby said:
Alright, but then why do @robphy s obituaries of mathematicians and physicists remain in the GD, and not be moved to the history subforum?
They should be. It is hard to browse for them in GD because there is so much content.
 
dextercioby said:
Alright, but then why do @robphy s obituaries of mathematicians and physicists remain in the GD, and not be moved to the history subforum?
As I mentioned in another thread, I think it's appropriately posted in GD (as "news")
... but afterwards, it would be good if it were moved to "History".
 
Frabjous said:
They should be. It is hard to browse for them in GD because there is so much content.
We could add a Prefix in GD for Obits if that would help your searching.
 
berkeman said:
We could add a Prefix in GD for Obits if that would help your searching.
It would, but it is hard to justify a history of physics area if some history is classified as something else. I think we should concentrate science history in one place, because once a critical mass of posts is achieved, it will be a place to browse. History is an evergreen topic. I do not see GD as an easily browsable forum because of the breadth of stuff discussed there.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and dextercioby
Do we know what percentage of users watch GD? I don’t. I use “What’s New” to follow things, so I would prefer forums of “small topics” so that I can browse easily for older things that I do not know are there.
 
Wow. Rearranging all that stuff was probably a lot of work Greg.
It'll take some getting used to, but I think its an improvement.
Thanks!