Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Request for Hints to solve a Non-Linear PDE

1. Oct 7, 2012 #1
    Dear Friends,
    Would you please provide me with some hints to find the analytical solution of the non-linear PDE given below:
    U=U(z,t)

Uzz-(A/U)*Uz=Ut

BC's and IC's are:
    U(z,0)=B
    U(1,t)=B
    Uz(0,t)=A*H(t); "H" is the heaviside function and H(0)=0

where A, B, and C are constant.

Many Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2012 #2
    Hi !

Since there is no answer yet to the question, I dare give my opinion on the subject.
    The analytical solutions of most of the non-linear PDE are not known. The solutions of only a few of them can be formally expressed (generally in case of school problems). In practice, numerical methods are used to treat the problems involving PDE in physics or industry.
    I think that the mohammad449's non-linear PDE should be treated with a numerical software.
    Nevertheless, I hope that someone will give a more theoretical answer.

4. Oct 9, 2012 #3
    Thanks so much Dear JJacquelin!

Actually, the original equation has been simplified to the given form. I have the numerical results of the original complicated equation.
    Currently, I am trying to find an analytical solution to match the numerical one. I tried the Heat Integral method (to get an approximation) but the resulting solution was not accurate enough, it just works in some specific conditions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook