Requirements for Applied Math Grad Schools

• Schools
  • Thread starter tcbh
  • Start date
Hi, I'm a math major coming to the end of my second year. Right now I'm leaning toward to studying Statistics or Probability in Grad School. From what I've read, Statistics doesn't use Algebra or Differential Equations at all, so classes in those areas aren't of much use. Would the same generally hold if I were to study Probability in a Math Department?

I've taken a lower division intro to Differential Equations, but the Applied Math major only requires two out of Probability, Numerical Analysis and Diff Eq's (all two quarter sequences) and I'm taking the first two. I could fit in ODE's and PDE's if necessary, but there are other electives that seem more interesting to me.

Answers and Replies

Hi, I'm a math major coming to the end of my second year. Right now I'm leaning toward to studying Statistics or Probability in Grad School. From what I've read, Statistics doesn't use Algebra or Differential Equations at all, so classes in those areas aren't of much use. Would the same generally hold if I were to study Probability in a Math Department?

I've taken a lower division intro to Differential Equations, but the Applied Math major only requires two out of Probability, Numerical Analysis and Diff Eq's (all two quarter sequences) and I'm taking the first two. I could fit in ODE's and PDE's if necessary, but there are other electives that seem more interesting to me.
Analysis is very important; you should definitely take it.

Personally, if I were you, I'd take as much math as I could fit into my schedule, especially if you're looking to go to grad school in applied math.

I've already taken Analysis, and I'm planning on taking a graduate course in Measure Theory in the Fall (which would allow me to take graduate Probability Theory my 4th year). The trouble is that I'm already planning on doing 3 or 4 Math/Statistics courses each quarter, so adding Algebra and Differential Equations would probably mean dropping other math electives. I'd prefer to only do that if they're a must for getting into grad schools.

Pyrrhus
Homework Helper
You're studying Linear Algebra, right?

Mathematical Statistics uses Linear Algebra. Random Vectors, Random Matrices, etc... Writing equations in Matrix form, and also finding estimator in matrix form.

Yeah, all math majors here are required to take an upper division Linear Algebra class (as well as Analysis)

Pyrrhus
Homework Helper
Ok, other than the math classes, I recommend learning Matlab or GAUSS or a programming language.

I have experience with C++, R and the Numerical Analysis class uses Matlab.

So basically if I have a solid amount of experience in other areas, not having Diff Eq's and Abstract Algebra isn't a big deal?

Well, missing abstract algebra certainly won't hurt an applied math degree. I'd try to find a way to fit in diff eq's if possible though.

Missing algebra isn't a big deal, but missing differential equations is. In probability, there's an important concept called stochastic equations. Knowledge of differential equations is very important there...

Pyrrhus
Homework Helper
Missing algebra isn't a big deal, but missing differential equations is. In probability, there's an important concept called stochastic equations. Knowledge of differential equations is very important there...
Good catch.. I forgot about that. For Stochastic Differential Equations, certainly a DE class is important.

Ah, I see. My Stochastic processes class hasn't used Diff Eq's yet, but I'll make sure to take a course or two in it. Thanks for the help.