1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Research topics for personal statement and A2 physics

1. Jun 12, 2013 #1
    Hi everyone I'm new to physics forums so sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I'm currently in Year 12 going into Year 13 and for my physics A2 I have to find a research topic (which would be in the form of a question) on which I would have to write a 1200 word report on. My problem is that I'm struggling to find interesting topics which would relate to the career I would like to take (if that makes sense).

I joined the forums to ask whether anyone on here would know any interesting topics. The only question I have so far is 'Why does the Millennium Bridge wobble?' which was suggested to me by my teacher.

As you might be able to tell by my username currently I only know the basic things about Mech Eng and would like to heighten my understanding so would anyone know of any good INTERESTING books to read, I'm up for a challenging book and research topic but obviously wouldn't want something that has ridiculous amounts of jargon or is highly technical. I would talk about this in my personal statement too.

Could I PLEASE have some input as I'm really struggling to find someone/an engineer/university student who is willing to help and so haven't found any wex which is a whole different story lol

ps i wouldnt mind doing an experiment or building something cool :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2013 #2
    If you know a bit of CAD, you can make a fun physics project related to stress analysis.

4. Jun 12, 2013 #3
    Research the bouncing bomb ;) - do something similar if you enjoy the look of it (has a lot of physics, but relatively easy to do an experiment on it, and the physics isn't too hard, around M3/M4 level if you do maths).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook