Research topics for personal statement and A2 physics

In summary, the speaker is a Year 12 student who is looking for a research topic related to their interest in mechanical engineering for their physics A2 report. They are struggling to find interesting topics and are also seeking recommendations for books to read. They are open to challenging topics but do not want something too technical or with excessive jargon. They also mention the possibility of doing an experiment or building something related to stress analysis or the "bouncing bomb" concept. They are looking for input and assistance from someone knowledgeable in the field.
mechengnoob
Hi everyone I'm new to physics forums so sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I'm currently in Year 12 going into Year 13 and for my physics A2 I have to find a research topic (which would be in the form of a question) on which I would have to write a 1200 word report on. My problem is that I'm struggling to find interesting topics which would relate to the career I would like to take (if that makes sense).

I joined the forums to ask whether anyone on here would know any interesting topics. The only question I have so far is 'Why does the Millennium Bridge wobble?' which was suggested to me by my teacher.

As you might be able to tell by my username currently I only know the basic things about Mech Eng and would like to heighten my understanding so would anyone know of any good INTERESTING books to read, I'm up for a challenging book and research topic but obviously wouldn't want something that has ridiculous amounts of jargon or is highly technical. I would talk about this in my personal statement too.

Could I PLEASE have some input as I'm really struggling to find someone/an engineer/university student who is willing to help and so haven't found any wex which is a whole different story lol

ps i wouldn't mind doing an experiment or building something cool :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know a bit of CAD, you can make a fun physics project related to stress analysis.

Research the bouncing bomb ;) - do something similar if you enjoy the look of it (has a lot of physics, but relatively easy to do an experiment on it, and the physics isn't too hard, around M3/M4 level if you do maths).

1. What are some examples of research topics for a personal statement and A2 physics?

Some examples of research topics for a personal statement and A2 physics include studying the relationship between gravity and time, exploring the applications of quantum mechanics in everyday life, investigating the properties of dark matter, examining the role of renewable energy in reducing carbon emissions, and analyzing the potential of nuclear fusion as a clean energy source.

2. How do I choose a research topic for my personal statement and A2 physics?

When choosing a research topic for your personal statement and A2 physics, consider your interests, strengths, and goals. You may also want to explore current trends and advancements in the field, consult with your professors or peers, and brainstorm potential ideas that align with your personal and academic interests.

3. Can I conduct my own research for my personal statement and A2 physics?

Yes, you can conduct your own research for your personal statement and A2 physics. This can involve designing and conducting experiments, collecting and analyzing data, and drawing conclusions based on your findings. However, it is important to consult with your professors and follow proper research protocols and ethical guidelines.

4. How can I ensure my research topic is original and relevant?

To ensure your research topic is original and relevant, conduct a thorough literature review to see what has already been studied in the field. This will help you identify gaps in current research and potential areas for exploration. Additionally, consider the current state of the field and how your research topic can contribute to it.

5. What are some resources for finding research topics for personal statement and A2 physics?

Some resources for finding research topics for personal statement and A2 physics include academic journals, conferences, and workshops in the field, discussions with professors and peers, and online databases such as Google Scholar or ScienceDirect. You can also consult with your university's research department or career center for additional resources and guidance.