What are interesting research topics in plasma physics now?

In summary, the conversation discussed the topic of conducting research in plasma physics, with a preference for computational methods. The speaker was unsure if fusion research would be too advanced for their education level, and asked for other suggestions. The other person recommended looking into research on space plasma, which often involves computer simulations, and provided some resources. The speaker also expressed interest in exploring other possibilities and was directed to an article and paper on stabilizing fusion plasmas.
panxi
I'm an undergraduate student and thinking of doing a research in plasma physics. Any suggestion? I prefer to do it computationally.

Most research topic in plasma physics I googled are about fusion, but do you think it's too advanced for my education level?

Physics news on Phys.org
panxi said:
Most research topic in plasma physics I googled are about fusion, but do you think it's too advanced for my education level?
You might have a look at the Phys.org article mentioned in this recent PF thread, and then have a look at the paper referenced in the article. Does it look like it's at a level that you are comfortable working through? :smile:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/new-approach-to-stabilize-fusion-plasmas.963896/

upload_2019-3-21_12-43-46.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-21_12-43-46.png
    upload_2019-3-21_12-43-46.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 1,003
Likes panxi

1. What is the current state of research in plasma physics?

The current state of research in plasma physics is very active and exciting. Scientists are studying a wide range of topics, from fusion energy to astrophysical plasmas. There is also a growing interest in the use of plasma for industrial and medical applications.

2. What are some interesting applications of plasma physics?

Some interesting applications of plasma physics include fusion energy, plasma propulsion for space travel, plasma-based materials processing, and plasma medicine. Researchers are also exploring the use of plasma for waste management and pollution control.

3. What are some current challenges in plasma physics research?

One of the biggest challenges in plasma physics research is achieving and maintaining high temperatures and densities required for fusion reactions. Other challenges include understanding and controlling instabilities in plasmas, developing efficient and reliable plasma-based technologies, and studying the complex behavior of plasmas in extreme environments.

4. What are some recent breakthroughs in plasma physics?

Recent breakthroughs in plasma physics include the successful operation of the Wendelstein 7-X stellarator, which achieved record-breaking plasma temperatures and densities, and the development of new plasma-based materials processing techniques. Researchers are also making progress in understanding and controlling turbulence in plasmas, which is crucial for achieving fusion reactions.

5. How can plasma physics research benefit society?

Plasma physics research has the potential to benefit society in many ways. One of the most significant applications is the development of fusion energy, which could provide a clean and virtually limitless source of energy. Plasma-based technologies also have the potential to improve medical treatments, reduce pollution, and advance space exploration. Additionally, studying plasmas in astrophysical environments can help us better understand the universe and its origins.