Residue theorem to evaluate integrals

In summary: so once you have the residues at z=\frac{\pi}{2},\frac{3\pi}{2}, you can use the inverse function to get the sinusoids at those points.
nacho-man
Please refer to attached material.

For the first question, I have tried looking at examples and have noted that the bounds have been provided in a manner:

like |z|=1 (as given in part ii)

I am not sure how to get transform the given |z-pi|=pi in such a format, although i suspect it would be something like |z|=2pi ?
Where do I go from here?for part ii) i don't understand how to treat the z^m term. does this imply that z^m is a series expansion, or is it trying to say m is a positive integer?
How do I solve this equation?Many thanks in advanced MHB, you are more help than my professors at uni! (and mathhelpforum, :P )

(as per forum rules, I've cross posted this question elsewhere: Residue theorem)

Attachments

• residue.jpg
    residue.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 71
Physics news on Phys.org
In general if you are given something like \(\displaystyle |z-a|=b \,\,,\, b> 0\,\, , \text{ and } z,a\in \mathbb{C}\) we are referring to the circle of radius $b$ and the center is at $a$.

To see this more clearly let \(\displaystyle z=x+iy \, , \, a=s+it\) then we have

\(\displaystyle |z-a|=|x+iy -(s+it)|= \sqrt{(x-s)^2+(y-t)^2}\)

So we have

\(\displaystyle (x-s)^2+(y-t)^2=b^2\)

which describes a circle of center $(s,t)$ and radius $b$.

For the special case \(\displaystyle |z|=1\) just let $s=t=0 , b=1$

so we have $x^2+y^2=1$ which is the unit circle .

For the other part of the question treat $z^m$ as a polynomial of order $m$ clearly this is an entire function so we need not worry about it . You are integrating the function around a circle of radius $1$ so look how the function behaves in and on this contour is it holomorphic or does it have poles ?

ZaidAlyafey said:
In general if you are given something like \(\displaystyle |z-a|=b \,\,,\, b> 0\,\, , \text{ and } z,a\in \mathbb{C}\) we are referring to the circle of radius $b$ and the center is at $a$.

To see this more clearly let \(\displaystyle z=x+iy \, , \, a=s+it\) then we have

\(\displaystyle |z-a|=|x+iy -(s+it)|= \sqrt{(x-s)^2+(y-t)^2}\)

So we have

\(\displaystyle (x-s)^2+(y-t)^2=b^2\)

which describes a circle of center $(s,t)$ and radius $b$.

For the special case \(\displaystyle |z|=1\) just let $s=t=0 , b=1$

so we have $x^2+y^2=1$ which is the unit circle .

For the other part of the question treat $z^m$ as a polynomial of order $m$ clearly this is an entire function so we need not worry about it . You are integrating the function around a circle of radius $1$ so look how the function behaves in and on this contour is it holomorphic or does it have poles ?
ahh, that makes sense, thank you.

So for part i)
my integral is centred at pi, with a radius of pi.
the function has a pole at pi/2, so I apply the residue formula,
Res(f,c)
=>
Res(f,pi/2) = $\frac{1}{2\pi i}$ ... ?

as for part ii)

i THINK this is a trick question. distant memories of l'hopitals and squeeze theorem are coming to me, but i do believe that sin(1/0) is defined. so this function has no poles?

in that case, what do i do?

nacho said:
ahh, that makes sense, thank you.

So for part i)
my integral is centred at pi, with a radius of pi.
the function has a pole at pi/2, so I apply the residue formula,
Res(f,c)
=>
Res(f,pi/2) = $\frac{1}{2\pi i}$ ... ?

How exactly did you get that ?

as for part ii)

i THINK this is a trick question. distant memories of l'hopitals and squeeze theorem are coming to me, but i do believe that sin(1/0) is defined. so this function has no poles?

in that case, what do i do?

You need to use the Laurent expansion , the function has an essential singularity at $0$.

ZaidAlyafey said:
How exactly did you get that ?
You need to use the Laurent expansion , the function has an essential singularity at $0$.

Residues are just going completely over my head.

was your query for part i) in regards to what i said about the poles?

The poles are the points where there is a hole in the given domain, no?

as for part ii) I am completely and utterly lost.

Is the laurent expansion used on z^m?
afterwards, won't we get an infinite series (which i guess would be convergent)?

i ) We are integrating the function $z \tan(z)$ . Clearly the function can be rewritten as \(\displaystyle \frac{z\, \sin(z)}{\cos(z)}\) and we only care about the poles of $\cos(z)$ in the interval \(\displaystyle [0,2\pi ]\) , so what are the singularities at this interval ?

OH, over [0,2pi] the singularities are pi/2 and 3pi/2

So we need to find the residues at both \(\displaystyle z=\frac{\pi}{2},\frac{3\pi}{2}\) using the function \(\displaystyle \frac{z \, \sin(z)}{\cos(z)}\) , how do you do that ?

Remember that the numerator is holomorphic and not-zero at both points.

Consider the following function \(\displaystyle f(z)=\frac{g(z)}{h(z)}\) and we want to find the residue at \(\displaystyle z=z_0\) assume that \(\displaystyle g(z_0)\neq 0,h(z_0)=0\)

Assuming that the function $g(z)$ is holomorphic at $z_0$ .

Then we can say the following

\(\displaystyle \text{Res}(f;z_0)=\lim_{z \to z_0} (z-z_0) \frac{g(z)}{h(z)-h(z_0)}= \frac{g(z_0)}{\lim_{z \to z_0}\frac{h(z)-h(z_0)}{z-z_0}}=\frac{g(z_0)}{h'(z_0)}\)

Oh, ok.

I ended up getting -pi/2 and -3pi/2 for my answers.
is this correct?

Could i get some assistance on part ii)

Have you learned the Laurent expansion ? Can you expand $\sin\left(\frac{1}{z} \right)$ around $0$?

That is a different question ! We are looking at the Laurent expansion of $\sin(1/z)$ . It is essential when finding residues to be able to expand using the Laurent expansion because we are only interested in the coefficient of the term \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{z-z_0}\) .

Since we know the Taylor expansion of \(\displaystyle \sin(z)\) around $0$

\(\displaystyle \sin(z) = z-\frac{z^3}{3!}+\frac{z^5}{5!}\,+\cdots\)

\(\displaystyle \sin(1/z)= \frac{1}{z}-\frac{1}{3!\, z^3}+\frac{1}{5! z^5}+\cdots \)

\(\displaystyle z^m \sin(1/z)= z^{m-1}-\frac{z^{m-3}}{3!\, }+\frac{z^{m-5}}{5! }+\cdots\)

So what will be the term that contains \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{z}\) ?

wont it be z^(m-1)

nacho said:
wont it be z^(m-1)

This will be true if $m=0$ so we get \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{z}\) but we might get others remember that we are choosing $m$ is arbitrary number so we need to test all the values .
For example if you take the term \(\displaystyle z^{m-3}\) if you let $m=2$ we get $1/z$ can you conjecture a general formula ?

ZaidAlyafey said:
This will be true if $m=0$ so we get \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{z}\) but we might get others remember that we are choosing $m$ is arbitrary number so we need to test all the values .
For example if you take the term \(\displaystyle z^{m-3}\) if you let $m=2$ we get $1/z$ can you conjecture a general formula ?

I cant't, I'm a little lost.

What did you mean precisely when you asked "What will be the term that contains $\frac{1}{z}$ ?

Do you mean, which of the a0, a1, a2...an it would be?

The problem here is the term \(\displaystyle z^m\) which will tell us where the residue is but since $m$ is arbitrary we have to find a general formula , let us take an easy example :

\(\displaystyle \int_{\gamma(0,1)}z^m \, dz \,\,\,, \,\, m \in \mathbb{Z}\)

How to solve this integral ?

Related to Residue theorem to evaluate integrals

1. What is the residue theorem?

The residue theorem is a powerful mathematical tool used in complex analysis to evaluate integrals along a closed contour in the complex plane. It states that the integral of a function along a closed contour is equal to the sum of the residues of the function at its singular points inside the contour.

2. How is the residue theorem used to evaluate integrals?

To use the residue theorem, we first identify the singular points (poles) of the function inside the contour. Then, we calculate the residues of the function at those points. Finally, we use the theorem's formula to sum up the residues and evaluate the integral.

3. What are the benefits of using the residue theorem?

The residue theorem allows us to evaluate complex integrals that would be difficult or impossible to evaluate using traditional methods. It also provides a more efficient and elegant way to calculate certain types of integrals.

4. What are some real-world applications of the residue theorem?

The residue theorem has many applications in engineering, physics, and other fields. For example, it is used to calculate electric and magnetic fields in electromagnetism, to analyze vibrations in mechanical systems, and to solve problems in fluid dynamics.

5. What are the limitations of the residue theorem?

The residue theorem can only be applied to integrals along closed contours, and it is only applicable to functions with singularities inside the contour. It also requires a good understanding of complex analysis and the properties of singularities and residues.