Resistant Mutant Lice Spreading in U.S.

• News
  • Thread starter bballwaterboy
  • Start date
In summary, a new strain of mutant lice has been found in 25 U.S. states, which are resistant to common over-the-counter treatments. This discovery has raised concerns about the effectiveness of current methods in controlling head lice. However, the resistant lice have not yet been found to cause any harm to humans.
bballwaterboy
https://www.yahoo.com/health/mutant-lice-resistant-to-treatment-found-in-25-127082708622.html

Lice populations in the states in pink have developed a high level of resistance to some of the most common treatments.(Image: Kyong Yoon, Ph.D.)

Head lice are freaky enough as-is, but new research has discovered there’s a strain of mutant lice that is resistant to over-the-counter treatments — and they’re found in at least 25 U.S. states.

Great...Also, aren't cockroaches resistant to nuclear bombs? I think I recall someone saying that after the U.S. a-bombed Japan that despite finding the death and destruction of so many things there that roaches had somehow survived it all.

Physics news on Phys.org
Horrible! I feel something pretty itchy crawling in my scalp while reading the news.
Weeks ago I thought I had some head lice after 2 days without bathing, I combed my hair a lot and several sesame seeds fell down, I had been busy preparing some cakes.

1. What are resistant mutant lice?

Resistant mutant lice are a type of lice that have developed the ability to survive and reproduce despite being exposed to commonly used lice treatments.

2. How are resistant mutant lice spreading in the U.S.?

Resistant mutant lice are spreading in the U.S. through direct contact with someone who has them, sharing personal items like hats or brushes, or through indirect contact with items such as clothing or bedding that have been in contact with an infested person.

3. Are resistant mutant lice more dangerous than regular lice?

No, resistant mutant lice are not more dangerous than regular lice. They are simply more difficult to treat with traditional lice treatments.

4. What can be done to prevent the spread of resistant mutant lice?

To prevent the spread of resistant mutant lice, it is important to avoid direct contact with someone who has them and to avoid sharing personal items. It is also recommended to wash clothing and bedding in hot water and dry on high heat to kill any lice or eggs.

5. Is there a way to treat resistant mutant lice?

Yes, there are alternative treatments available for resistant mutant lice, such as prescription medications or manual removal with a special comb. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional for the best treatment option.