Resistence and double stranded wire.

• Thread starter zebra1707
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wire
In summary, the problem involves calculating the resistance of a double-stranded wire that was created by joining two halves of a wire together. The length and resistance of the original wire are known, but the diameter is not given. The resistance of each half is calculated to be 0.10 ohm. The question is whether the resistance of the double-stranded wire is equivalent to two parallel resistors or if it is simply doubled in length. By using the equations for parallel resistors and for resistance being proportional to length and inversely proportional to cross sectional area, it is determined that the equivalent resistance of the double-stranded wire is 0.05 ohm.
zebra1707

Homework Statement

I have been stuck with a problem regarding the resistance of a wire that is 2.0 meters long, has a resistance of 0.20 ohm. The wire has been cut in half and then the two ends of the new wires joined together to make a double standed wire.

We don't know what the diameter of the wire is - which I find a bit strange. I have worked our what the resistance of the two halves would be (0.10 ohm) - that is okay. Its the new double strand that has got me stumped.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Cheers Petra d.

Physics news on Phys.org
zebra1707 said:

Homework Statement

I have been stuck with a problem regarding the resistance of a wire that is 2.0 meters long, has a resistance of 0.20 ohm. The wire has been cut in half and then the two ends of the new wires joined together to make a double standed wire.

We don't know what the diameter of the wire is - which I find a bit strange. I have worked our what the resistance of the two halves would be (0.10 ohm) - that is okay. Its the new double strand that has got me stumped.

Welcome to PF.

If you know the resistance of 1 strand, then maybe two strands could be figured as parallel resistors?

Thankyou for the welcome

Its the resistance of the "new" double stranded wire that has got me stumped.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

Cheers Petra d.

zebra1707 said:
Thankyou for the welcome

Its the resistance of the "new" double stranded wire that has got me stumped.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

Cheers Petra d.

Whether you consider that they are || resistors, or simply that you have doubled the cross sectional area of both resistors - halving the equivalent resistance - I think you get the same result.

Hi there

Thank you for the reply. Not sure that I understand your response.

I think what you are saying is that the resistance of the wire will not change - even though it is now double-stranded??

Full strand of wire is 2.0 meters = 0.2 ohm resistance
1/2 stand is 1.0 meters = 0.1 ohm (I understand this relationship)

1/2 stands have now become double-strand (still 1.0 meter in length) - what is the resistance and the relationship. Note that I do not have a diameter of the wire.

Cheers Petra

LowlyPion said:
Whether you consider that they are || resistors, or simply that you have doubled the cross sectional area of both resistors - halving the equivalent resistance - I think you get the same result.

No. You don't understand.
Yes you chopped the wire in half.
Yes the length is now half and each resistor's resistance is half.

But you twisted them together - essentially made them parallel.
The equivalent resistance of that would be given by calculating the resistance for 2 parallel resistors.

1/Req = 1/R + 1/R = 1/.1 + 1/.1 = 20

Req = 1/20 = .05

Looking at it another way, a resistor's resistance is proportional to length. The longer it is the greater the resistance. It is inversely proportional to cross sectional area.The greater the area, the less the resistance. While it's true you don't know the diameter, you do know that since you have now 2 cross sections of the same thing it is twice as much area - whatever it is.

So while R = ρ*L/A if you take 1/2 the original L and double the A you get

Req = ρ*(L/2)/(2A) = 1/4*ρ*L/A = 1/4*R = 1/4*.2 = .05

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_resistance#DC_resistance

HI there

Many thanks - this has clarified it for me.

Cheers Petra d.

1. What is resistance and how is it measured?

Resistance is the measure of how difficult it is for electric current to flow through a material. It is measured in Ohms (Ω) using a multimeter or other electrical testing equipment.

2. What factors affect the resistance of a wire?

The resistance of a wire is affected by its length, cross-sectional area, material, and temperature. Longer wires and wires with smaller cross-sectional areas have higher resistance, while wires made of materials with high resistivity and at higher temperatures also have higher resistance.

3. What is the difference between a single stranded wire and a double stranded wire?

A single stranded wire is made up of a single, solid piece of metal, while a double stranded wire consists of two or more smaller wires twisted or braided together. This makes double stranded wires more flexible and less prone to breakage, but they have higher resistance due to the increased surface area.

4. How does the resistance of a wire affect the flow of electric current?

The higher the resistance of a wire, the more difficult it is for electric current to flow through it. This means that a higher resistance wire will have a lower current for a given voltage. This relationship is described by Ohm's Law: V = IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance.

5. How can resistance be reduced in a wire?

Resistance in a wire can be reduced by using a thicker wire with a larger cross-sectional area, using a material with lower resistivity, or by cooling the wire to reduce its temperature. Additionally, connecting multiple wires in parallel can also reduce the overall resistance of the circuit.